1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My gig last night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by seansbrew, Dec 15, 2018.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have been playing with most of these wonderful people for a few years and some of them for just a short time. This band feels good and I just wanted to share because I am filled with joy to be able to spend time with them. We are the "Crosstown Players" from Arizona. _C140097.JPG _C140424.JPG _C140079.JPG _C140375.JPG _C140343.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    sorry about the duplicates, I don't know how to fix it.

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Just edit the post and delete the dupes.

It’s been a while since I supported that many musicians. Congrats on the awesome gig.

Reedt2000 and seansbrew like this.
  4. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    thanks for the help

5. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Nothing better than a great gang to gig with. Nice pictures! Looks like the band was having fun.

BBassBassington and seansbrew like this.
  6. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Now that looks like a fun band!
    I just checked out some of your videos...excellent stuff.
    That's very much the sort of band I'd love to play with.

I can only imagine the amount of hard work it must take to get so many musicians together, avoiding arguments, dealing with scheduling conflicts...well done to all of you for holding together.

BBassBassington and seansbrew like this.
  7. Very cool. Looks like fun, I've never had a chance at a group that size.

Thanks for sharing.

seansbrew likes this.
  8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Cool pictures. With only four people in a band we have a hard time having our schedules land on the same page. I can image it is really hard with ten members.

seansbrew likes this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

It's been a while but I love working with big horn bands. I take it you like Aguilar pedals. I've used the Tone Hammer and I like it. But I play mostly country music these days so I keep it simple.

Your photos are well done. I take it you had a professional photographer on this gig. Nice. Where was this gig? A corporate event? Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

10. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Excellent... not many things that are more fun than a horn band!

TerenceE likes this.
  11. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hey, thanks for posting! That's some serious music, going on there! How 'bout some more of that good stuff!!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    mwbonsall likes this.
  12. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks for all the kind words it took myself and a couple of the other musicians 8 years to get this band working. Finding the right people was difficult and we even quit out of frustration a few times.
    This particular gig was at a club in AZ called 'Cactus Jacks.' Here is one of our outdated promo videos, we have new members now, but this pretty much our sound.

Mr_Moo, pablomago, Ironbar and 3 others like this.
  13. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Very cool! Great band and photos. I will have to stop by and see you guys.

Mark

seansbrew likes this.
  14. I'm always impressed with bands that have more than 4 members and they can find a time where they are all available for rehearsal / gigs.... I played in a 9 piece band for about 3 months once and left because we could not get all 9 people together on the same day / time to rehearse and it was very frustrating!

mwbonsall likes this.
  15. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Horn Bands! :woot:

16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice job on the video, great sounding band. I was waiting for some Chicago and maybe some Blackbirds, Average White Band and you delivered... nice rig. nice chicks.... Food??? ;)

mwbonsall likes this.
  17. tubedude

tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Gotta love a baritone sax!
    How do you avoid drama with a mixed bag of so many players?

18. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    good food as well

19. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    We have a clear outline of what the expectations are. We hang with the players who try out several times before we make a decision. Not that this a full proof approach, but we have done pretty well. We promote being positive and family matters always come first. Some of it is just searching and searching until you find the right fit.
    We all have our bad days and sometimes rehearsal is tough after a long day of work. We try to take that into consideration when one of our members might not feel so positive. As long as we all show respect for one another we are good.
    We meet once a week for four hours. If you can make it 95% you will be fine. If you cant do that we cut ties after too many absences. We always give people the benefit of the doubt and even a second chance if warranted. We are usually able to figure out if someone just doesn't want to do it. and is making excuses.
    Everything is decided by the band and the band leader initiates the discussion if there is a problem. But we all have a voice and include a band business meeting and even a grievances meeting if need be at the end of each practice.
    You have to be willing to let the little things go and only fight the big battles if they arise. So far so good with this line up. We all get along and there is allot of positive energy.

Mr_Moo and Ironbar like this.
  20. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    We will be at Tempe Market place this saturday outside on the mainstage from 7 to 10 and its free.

mwbonsall likes this.