1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My gig was worse than yours...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    So, a friend of mine that I respect as a local musician called me and asked me if I wanted to support a band. I asked for the contact info and talked with the singer. Highlights of the conversation
    • Do you have a finalized set list?
      • Yes, it is on YouTube, here are the links
    • What keys will you do the songs in
      • The key of each track
    • What is the make up of the band?
      • keys, drums, bass, guitar
    • Pay?
      • Usually $xxx per gig, often more
    I took the gig, 4 days to learn her 48 song set list with one rehearsal where we maybe went through 15 songs.

• Hey... I have done some research, this venue does not have a PA
      • I have a PA, we are covered
    Day of gig, frantic call... there is no PA... bring powered speakers if you have them.

I show up with 1000 watts of subs, tops, digital mixer, iPad for mixing, 2 112s, bass amp.

She shows up with a home karaoke mic with a battery powered jack to plug into my mixer...

The set was a train wreck.

1. Pitchy singer
    2. Her drummer canceled last minute so I brought in a guy to cover
    3. Had to coach the drummer through every song (Professional, handled it like a pro)
    4. Guitarist would go into random solos
    5. Singer would come in in the middle of an instrumental... didn tknow thewords orthesong form
    6. I was MDing from the stage
    At one point, despite my trying to end a song it droned on for over 30 minutes...

Anyway, at the end of the night we got paid... 1/2 of what was promised.

After 2 weeks of silence, she changed the set list, booked 2 more gigs and asked if we were available.

I called a band meeting.

I don’t want to run a band... but these peole have no clue...

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sounds like you know exactly what to do! good luck doing it! :thumbsup:

3. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    run away

4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Nothing as promised and that much chaos?

None of this idiocy showed up at the rehearsal? (Or maybe that's why the drummer was "not available")

You're going back for seconds? Wow - you're a better person than I.

Best of luck...

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop. I think you are wasting your time.

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Thanks for that recipe tip. You just saved me from a potential company picnic disaster!

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    On the other hand, you'll never be asked to bring anything to an office event again!

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Uh, i don't understand why you have anything further to do with this project. I sure wouldn't. What do you hope to accomplish? The singer wont get better with a new set list. The guitarist isnt likely to be anything other than a wanker. And the drummer fired homself by not showing up. There is nothing to save, brother.

9. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Unless the singer is willing to let you run things properly, it sounds like you're wasting your time here.
    However, if you see potential in them, and feel you can bring them up to standard, and want all that hassle, then I wish you the best of luck.

10. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Bands are all about the singer. If the singer sucks, don’t waste your time. They won’t get better soon enough.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fun gig! LOL! I got a call to sub one time (actually twice by the same singer). I knew the girl and she can sing her ass off. She booked the gig. Problem. She has no PA. Errr why did you book a gig with no PA? Anyway she calls me and asks me what she should do. I told her to rent one. She did. Gig went off ok. Calls again for another gig. No PA! Calls me and asks what should she do. As I'm shaking my head, I tell her I have a small PA I can bring. Just pay me an extra $25. Gig went ok but I don't think she wanted to pay me the extra. Thought I was gonna bring my PA for free. I may have but she didn't ask.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. You win.

......or lose...... depending on how you see it.

And, yes, you are the band leader, like it or not. :D

pcake, Acoustic356 and Jimmy4string like this.
  13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Yep, beats my worst. Pretty easy to do as I have a dream gig.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  14. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    It might suck but it beats most people's part time job.

BurnOut and Acoustic356 like this.
  15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I would have walked after seeing the Karoake Mic. lol

LBS-bass and Acoustic356 like this.
  16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Pitchy singer calling the shots? Band members bailing at the last minute? I would talk to your friend and ask why, exactly, he recommended you for the gig.

17. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    I'm guessing the OP owes the dude who recommended him money. Either that or the OP stole his GF way back when...

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Karaoke singers are notoriously unprepared to understand and deal with playing with a live band.

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The hardest part of being in a band is booking good paying gigs. If she has that gift id give her some leeway and see if i could fix everything else.

yodedude2 likes this.
  20. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Pleasepleaseplease, if you do another gig with this crew, get video of it and share it here.

:woot: