1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Girlfriend Saw Esperanza Spalding And Didn't Even Realise!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LeopoldBoom, Sep 26, 2013.

1. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    Hi guys,

Here's a funny little story for you all (especially any Esperanza fans!). My girlfriend went to a small invitation only event organised by Amnesty International here in Dublin. It was an evening to honour Harry Belafonte and Malala Yousafzai, the Afghan girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban, for their contributions to the field of human rights. The awards were presented by Bono and Roger Waters, and Petula Clark made an appearance, so it was a star-studded night to be sure!

Afterwards I asked her how it went and she said it was great. On top of the big name stars there were other smaller musical acts throughout the night, including "one really cool girl playing the cello and singing. She was amazing!". Great, sounds like a lovely night.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and the two of us are at home listening to music. For some reason Esperanza Spalding popped into my head and I said
    "Oh, let me show you something. A really great female jazz bassist called Esperanza Spalding. Her music is amazing and I've got a major crush on her."
    "Hmm that name sounds familiar..."
    "Really? Well here's a video of her."
    "Oh, that's the cello girl from the Amnesty concert!"

:eek:

I'm so jealous!

2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Double Win !!!!!!
    your crush on the cello girl is / seems to be approved.

3. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    Hahaha! Yeah, it was completely approved!

4. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    Oh and it turns out Harry Belafonte is one cool dude! I never knew anything about him apart from the classic Banana Boat Song, but I found out he was a great civil rights campaigner!

5. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    You lost me at "Bono". :bag:

6. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    He sure was. He also pushed for Paul Simon to go to South Africa to record 'Graceland', I believe. He's been criticised for advocating a break of the political, cultural and commercial embargo on S.A. during Apartheid.

7. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland

HA! From what my girlfriend told me it seems like his speech was very underwhelming, read entirely from his iPad and full of the usual Bono-isms.

8. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    I must look into that in more detail - Graceland is one of my favourite albums. He and Petula Clarke shared a significant moment on television in the 1960s - Petula performed with him on one of her TV specials and during a song she touched him on the arm (shock horror!). The network went nuts and wanted to pull the segment but Petula said nonsense, we're keeping it.

At the event I mentioned in my original post they brought Petula Clarke out as a surprise guest - a surprise even to Harry who (according to my GF) seemed really touched to see her.

9. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Interesting, I hadn't heard that story.

Look out for the documentary from last year 'Under African Skies'. It's about the whole Graceland ordeal, and was brought out for the albums 25th anniversary. Really great film.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I caught Ms. Spalding on ACL a couple weeks ago and she (and her band) are amazing. She was playing what looked like an off the shelf MIM fretless j bass for most of her set.

11. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    I saw her this summer in Marciac with ACS trio (Gerry Allen on piano and Terry Line Carrigton on drums) . Terrific ! i felt in love....

12. Hmm I thought this was going to be " My Girlfriend Saw Esperanza Spalding And Didn't Even Realise that she plays double bass and not cello!"

I hope you are educating your girlfriend on the difference. ;-)

13. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    Education through ridicule.