Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My girlfriend wants a saxaphone. help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so my girl wants to pick up the sax again. she played when she was younger.....like middle school......

anyone have any sax knowledge? she's looking to spend up to 600...

thanks!

2. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    alto....

yeah 600 is cheap.....but i saw one on ebay going for 2 bucks from china :)

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Help? Help with what? Contributing to your girlfriend's saxophone fund? Sorry, I'm tapped out this holiday season. :D

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  5. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Help on the way! (Kneels in prayer)....

:D :ninja: :bag:

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, for a good sax, one of any quality anyways, you may have to spend near twice that. Yamaha is good stuff pretty much up and down the line, but save your money and buy a nicer one. You won't regret it at all/

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
  8. Keep in mind the fact that she wants a saxophone- not a saxophonIST(which could probably be had for considerably less than $600). ;)

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I'll agree with Yamaha. I played for ten years and taught for a couple, and they make pretty ok student saxes, but as her embouchure develops and she stops squeaking, you'll notice that the tone is kinda tinny. But that's a very long way off.

Can I just say something? If she can't get one note out in the middle register, around a G, have a tech check the pads--it may not be her. This is a sore spot with me.

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  11. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Sorry, maybe too much of an inside joke. Rondo music sells inexpensive instruments on line and has such an excellent reputation that Talkbass has a "mega thread" of over 3000 posts on their imported line of basses. Check the Electric Bass forum. In addition, there is a similar "mega thread" in the Electric Guitar Forum of Harmony Central for their line of Agile guitars.

The link I sent was Rondo's Saxaphone. I know nothing about saxes, but Rondo has an excellent customer service reputation.

Carry on....