1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My GK cabinets arrived (!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassvi, Oct 10, 2009.

1. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I have wanted to put together a 4x12 rig for some time, and now I have finally done it - I can honestly say this is the best sounding rig I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of stuff!!!

I bought the 2 Neo 2x12 cabs Labor Day weekend from Music 123 at 20% off the normal price. They arrived day before yesterday and today I got to fire them up with my VB2.

I am very impressed with these cabs- really clear, articulate in all registers. Loud. Tweeter control is excellent. I can probably do any gig that I'll be playing with just one of them, but with two it sounds incredible, even at lower volumes. The depth is amazing. They made my pants flap from 15 feet away. They are so clear I think I can get away with a good deal of volume (I hope) without muddying up the sound of the band. The rig looks pretty intimidating but it sounds so sweet.

I almost bought a 2nd GB NeoX212T in considering how to put together the 4x12 rig, but I passed in favor of 8 ohm cabs so I could have more options with amp heads. I also got the two GK cabs for what one GB NeoX212t would have cost. Nothing against the GB 2x12 which is a great cab, but I prefer the sound of the GK212's. I'm really happy with the sound and I think I should be done with cabinets now for awhile!

The best part of this is I finally have a modular, easy to move rig that can be really flexible. I'm thinking one of these cabs with my Markbass 12" combo should also sound excellent. I think I can sell pretty much all the rest of my amps and cabs now (if I want to!)

Attached Files:

2. damn thats the exact cab setup I want. how much did you spend total?

3. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Total for the two cabs+shipping was $922.32

4. what kind of bass do you play? I'm still undecided wether I want a 4x12 or a 4x10 with a 1x15 as my rig.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Stacks are functional.., and cool! :)

6. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Sweet! Looks cool too.

-ScottM

7. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I play a Larrivee L6 and a Yamaha TRB6-II. My main band is an 11-piece funk and soul group, but I do various freelance rock, blues and jazz gigs.

Tone is subjective- as I'm sure you know, the best way to find out is to try it out but that isn't always possible. I took a chance on these cabs and for me it paid off- I've always preferred 12's over 10's anyway so I knew what kind of sound I wanted, along with the portability of the neo speakers and the flexibility of two 8-ohm cabinets.

8. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    thats funny i was just considering getting a VB2 with GK Neo cabs. which to me is an odd combination. please, keep us updated as you play more and play out.

9. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Mixed full-range bass cabs? :rollno:

10. then a better idea would be?

11. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Find a cab you like the sound of and get two of them like bassvi just did.

Matching cabs speak as one thus yielding the most focused bass sound.

12. or just say f' it and get a 8x10 :D

13. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Yeah, it'd be cheaper, and there's a growing # of neo 8x10's in both sealed and ported designs to choose from.

As well, their tall, tilt 'n' roll form factor can be levered in & out of vehicles and on & off stages thus avoiding much of the dead-lifting which 4x10's require.

However, those who run 2 Ω capable heads - and who drive something smaller than a fine Ford or GM light truck - might want to look at getting cabs like four SVT210AVs instead--kind of an 8x10 which can be purchased and moved in instalments. :D

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I will say that there are plenty of people who run mixed cab rigs and love them. But I'm not one of them. I like matching cabs...no phasing, no volume imbalances.

15. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Man thats a great looking rig i bet it sound's good any way you slice it,but why did'nt you get the 4-12 ,do they still make that,to heavey or do you just like the option of using one 2-12 ,i would like to try a 2-12 with that peavey head ,great choice ,how much does the 2-12 weigh?

16. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I did consider the GK Neoo412 also, which I understand is a great sounding cab and it was also on sale. But at the end of the day, I just didn't want to have to deal with another 100lb cabinet. The flexibility this rig offers suits me, as I can go big or small with it depending on the venue. Each 212 weighs 51lbs, which I can manage on my own up or down a flight of stairs when I need to.

17. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Yeah, I know it's seems odd but it sounds really good. The VB2 is quite versatile itself and has the juice to push the stack well, at least for what I do. Sometime down the road I might try to pick up a 700RBII so I can utilize the bi-amping feature on the cabs, but for now I'm really happy.

18. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    VB2 + 700RB would be a nice set of choices.

19. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    They claim 12" speakers are the best speakers to use for bass. Most manufacturer's down size to 10" to make smaller cabs.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's all dependent on the design of the box and the design of the speakers. There is no "best." And most manufacturers use 10"s because the Ampeg 810 is hugely popular, and it really had nothing to do with making smaller cabs.