Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my gk stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spalka621, Oct 2, 2005.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    so i have 2 gk cabs a 115 and a 210. imrunning these through a 250 backline head. is this head okay for this setup or do i need something more powerful. i dont need it to be louder, i am just wondering if getting a head with more power will make it sound better.

2. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    r u happy with the way your rig sounds?

if not, change the heads.

if you are, save your money and keep the one you've already got!

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    +1

:D

Joe.

p.s. 2 things. First, if you are not happy with the way it sounds, what sound are you looking for? and second, There's no such thing as too much power, just too much power used unwisely.

4. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    well the amp just starts to distort at a low level and was just wondering why i mean the head definatly cant match the power the cabs have.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You are running the head with too much bass in the EQ and playing too loud.

Eq less lows and more mids and turn the volume down. If it is not enough you need a bigger heard, like one of the RB series.

6. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yup.

Sounds like you could be overdriving the power amp.

Turn your preamp gain all the way down. Turn your master gain all the way up. Slowly increase the preamp until it starts to distort. Back it off till it goes away.

If it is still not loud enough you need more power, as long as you cabs can handle it.

The RB series rocks but is a much more expensive than the Backline series. You could try out the Backline 600 instead of the 250.

Joe.

7. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    isnt the Backline 250 head only for a 8 ohm load?

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The RB series can be found for the same price used as a Backline head new, and will kick it's ass all over the place.

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Too true.

Good point.

Joe.