Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My God... am I wrong?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dreadhead, Sep 13, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello guyz... I'm really really sad/angry.
    I did post one of my basses on eBay a little ago. Well, it didn't meet the reserve price BUT there was a bidder who was very interested. He said that he didn't have the money in that moment, but he could send me a deposit and then he would have sent the rest of the money after two weeks.
    I did accept the deal and I got the deposit (he said that if he didn't get the bass, I could keep it).
    In these weeks, I sent the bass to my luthier for a set up before shipping, and after almost 20 days, I've got the rest of the money. I was ready to ship the bass BUT the luthier didn't ship it back to me!
    The buyer was strangely aggressive, even if I have 200 eBay feedbacks... he treated me as I was going to rip him off. After 3 days I've got the money, he said that he was going to cancel the cashiers check he sent me, 'cause he was tired to wait. I told him to not cancel it (to avoid troubles with my bank) and that if he wanted the money back I could send it back by wire transfer. He said that I could go ahead with the deal, he didn't want to stop it. Well, today he said that he CANCELLED the check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wasn't at home when he mailed me, 'cause I was having some personal problems. Well, this guy is very very strange... sometimes he's king, sometimes he's very aggressive. I really don't know what I should do. I've lost a month (=money) for this deal and I'll certainly have serious troubles with my bank. My God, WHY I've found this buyer on my way? :confused: :(
    Well, I understand that he could be a little tired to wait, but I did wait for almost a month to have all the money here and he couldn't wait for a week??? I don't know... sorry for the sad story, guyz, I needed to talk about it.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why didn't you get the bass set up by the luthier before the auction?

3. Ebay actually say that for bidders should not accept sellers who offer them the same or similar items outside of auction conditions. If your reserve wasn't met and the guy didn't win the auction then you should not have sold it to him. The rules are there to protect sellers as much as buyers.

[edit] This is what ebay have to say (taken from the email the bidder receives after bidding):

Safety Tip:
    It is against eBay policy for a seller to contact you about buying a similar or identical item outside of eBay. This type of transaction is not covered by the services we provide to protect you - such as feedback, buyer protection and dispute resolution. For your own protection, please do not participate.

4. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I did throw in two sets of new strings, and I wanted the bass to be set up with one of them before shipping...

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, if I decide to sell an item out of eBay, I ALREADY know these rules... there's no rule that states I cannot sell an item out of eBay... I guess you misunderstood my post.

6. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Yes, I perfectly understand this, but I did offer him his money back and he refused it! He cancelled the check the next day... I guess this guy has serious problems. His mails are strange: in one he's very nice and cooperative, in the next one he's aggressive and suspicious. I think he would need a good analysis. (I'm talking seriously, I'm not kidding).

7. Well, he didn't get the bass, why would he trust you to send the money back? Easier for him to cancel the checks and have his money back.

I'm not saying that you are not trustworthy, just saying he did what he felt was best for his peace of mind. His E-Mails may have sounded strange, but I get a little weird when I send money and get nothing too.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you didn't answer my question. why didn't you do this before you posted it for sale, instead of after you got money from the guy?

well, the first time you said to me "i don't have the bass" i would've done the same thing. that's really lame - you're selling something that you don't have when it's time to actually send it off. you don't see a problem with this?

then again, maybe i need "a good analysis" :rolleyes:

9. Regardless of the sale method (eBay or otherwise) you agreed to take a non-refundable deposit on this bass and ship upon receipt of the balance. He kept his end of the deal and unfortunately you could not since the bass was not in your posession. I don't blame him. The one rule I have learned to live by on selling stuff on the internet is that I don't ship until I have received the full payment for the goods. End of story. The guy figured that you were gonna screw him and rightfully so. So don't bitch about how this deal went sour and how the guy needs therapy. You couldn't keep up your end of the bargain.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I like to think of myself as a King sometimes. At least king for a day.

Anyhoo, you needed a luthier to put strings on for you?

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Ebay sucks, ;)

12. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe

I did ship the bass to the luthier more than a week ago, the fault is not mine... I never could think that he could need more than a week to send the bass back!

13. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, the buyer would have right if he didn't refuse my offer to send him the money back!
    Besides I also offered him a discount for the delay... and I also did wait for him for way more than the two weeks he talked about. I fear that my first post wasn't as accurate as it needed to be, though...

14. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    No! :eek:
    But since the bass is still new, I wanted he to put new strings on it and to set it up. I usually ship my basses with new strings and a professional setup.
    I'm not a guitar tech, and I think that my buyers deserve a ready-to-play bass. It would be a shame if the bass needed a new set of strings after shipping. Besides, dead strings are often less stiff than newer ones, and so they could let the neck skip a little during the transit. My basses usually arrive in the USA still in tune.
    There are sellers that ship their basses with dead strings, a lot of dust on the body/pots and an ugly setup... I wouldn't do it.

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    ;)
    Sorry, I meant "kind" aka cooperative and nice... :D

16. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I told him that I needed his bank data to send him the money in the same day... and since I have 200 feedbacks on eBay (where he saw my bass) I think I did deserve a little trust... if I'm disposed to wait for about 20 days to receive the money, he should be disposed to wait for a week to get the bass, don't you think? I kept him posted during the delay time.

17. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    ... I forgot to say that when I did offer him the money back, he said he wanted to go on with the deal... :confused:

18. Not at all - I meant that the rules are there for a reason and if you decide to go against the advice ebay offer then it's your own risk and your own fault if something doesn't go right.

19. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    ... and in fact I'm NOT blaming eBay for my trouble! :p
    Yes, I knew that I wasn't covered from eBay rules, though.

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    perhaps something is getting lost in the translation here ;). you have a bass you want to sell. you put it up for sale, and accept a downpayment on it. then you ship it off to a luthier to get it setup? that doesn't make sense at all, and if you said that to me, while you had my down payment, i would be upset too.

why didn't you do this before you put the bass for sale?