My good friend Fedex just brought me a Present...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiFi, Mar 1, 2005.

1. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Well, I've been waiting a week and it finally got here. I posted these pics in another thread earlier, but now I have played the bass and have seen it in person.

This thing is incredible. Probably the best tone in a bass (at the very least versatility-wise) that I have ever played. I've owned about 20 basses over the past 8 years (played a lot more at music stores) and this thing takes the cake by a mile.

The J-Retro is intense (those who have one installed know what I mean). I wish I could post sound clips but I don't have the ability to at the moment. Just find peace in the fact that I am extremely happy about a bass (for the first time in a long time).

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  2. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    very nice. I seem to remember that one going for a song, right?
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

4. Most gorgeous jazz bass I have ever seen.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    very, very nice!

6. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Thanks for the compliments guys.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    That body-to-pickguard color combination is simply gorgeous (the blocks are icing on the cake ;)) and with a J-retro I bet she sounds at least as good as she looks! :eek:

Congratulations, and enjoy her.
  8. Beautiful J-bass.

Block inlays rule!
  9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    mmm...pearloid pickguard $40
    J-retro $350
    bound and blocked neck - $300

That Jazz - Priceless :bassist:
  10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Congrats! Nice lookin' bass.

I went with the J-retro on the Lakland DJ5 I ordered. Can't wait for it to get here.

Wouldn't hurt to post a review of the J-retro and what it does for the tone, I think. :D
  11. That thing is absolutely stunning, I would love to play that thing. Nice score man,we need more pics!
  12. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Well, I'll give you a quick review based on my roughly half hour of playing it.

I've heard a lot of J-retro users call their old sound anemic. I never thought it could be as bad as they made it sound. I've owned three Fender jazz basses (including the Marcus Miller) so I had a good idea of the supposed "anemic" tone. The MM had great slap tone and I felt it was one of the better Jazz basses in terms of tone.

Anyway, the J-retro can give you that standard "anemic" sound but why stick to that if you've installed it? This thing adds so much bottom end and there's real color in every tone. It is beyond incredible. I now know what everybody means by anemic, and they are being nice IMO. I can't give too many details at the moment because I'm still figuring everything out, but there seems to be no tone I would consider useless. I've already pulled some funky, jazzy, and gritty tones from it apart from the standard jazz sound. It kind of reminds me of Frankenstein and the whole "It's alive!" thing. Slap tones galore. My cruddy practice amp sounds like I should've paid more for it (can't say the same about my Fender Precision).
  13. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Wish I could get some more up tonight but my fiancee stole the digital camera for the week. The pics I posted are from the old owner.
  14. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Maybe I missed something, but could you tell us exactly what kind of Jazz this is? Is it a newer 75 reissue? What kind of pickups? What's the whole story?

15. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    From what I know, the body is an aftermarket Fender licensed; it is a '75 Reissue jazz neck. The pickups are Original Fenders that have been custom wound by Lindy Fralin himself. The original builder and owner lived near Fralin and got to tour his shop and got the pickups wound at the time.
  16. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Stunning bass! I bet it sounds the business too.
  17. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Killer look. I've always loved CAR (or similar).