Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My grandma died

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 8, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This sucks.....I was just saying recently that no one in my family that I am close to has died. Well, I must have jinxed myself.

My grandma woke up this morning, saying she didn't feel that great. She said she felt like she was going to throw up. She figured it was indigestion maybe. She passed on her normal breakfast. My mom offered to call her doctor, and she said just to worry about it Monday morning. Appeared to be no big deal. An hour or so later, the paramedics were in my parents driveway loading her up for a one way trip to the hospital. Her heart gave out on the way, and she was dead before they got to the hospital. She was 89 years old. The youngest female in her family to die. One sister was 101, and the other 104 when they died. Her mom died when she was 94.

As I said, no one close to me has ever died. My dad's dad died when I was three. My dad's mom died a coupel eyars ago. but she was long gone after the effects of Alzheimers. This was my mom's mom. My mom is having a really hard time with this. I'm OK for now, but I think I am only starting the grieving process. I'm still kind of pissed off about it right now.

Anyway....you guys/gals are all a big part of my life, so I thought I would share my tragedy. Thanks for listening.

-Mike

2. At my age of 16, I have only recently seen deaths in my family. My great great grandma, age 104. My great grandfather, age 92. His death hit me pretty hard, he was almost the family patriarch, though he wasn't actually a blood relative. But when my dad's uncle paul died, age 60, I didn't know what to think. Paul was my favorite relative on that side of my family, always cracking jokes, telling at the tv during thanksgiving football. I had never seen my dad cry until they night we got that phone call. He was so close to his uncle. I'm sorry for your loss, time heals, but the memory remains, and it has a way of making things seem alright in the end.

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Other than that day, she was in good shape? Hate when random stuff like that happens. Guess it was her time though. Hope ya feel better.

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Sorry for your loss MJ5150.

Were here for ya.

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Mike
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolensces and know that you and your family will be in my families prayers. I lost my Dad a few years ago and I work with the elderly so I deal with this sort of thing alot more often than I would like. You have my email, if you need anything or just need to unload feel free.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry Mike, my condolences to you and your family. :(

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm sorry for your loss.. :(

8. Sorry to hear that Mike, stay strong.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, Mike. I'm here for ya. I'm not just your snowboard dude. I'll pray for you and your family.

10. ^ likewise.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    My condolences, man.

12. I'm really sorry, you have my condolences. :( :crying:

13. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'm really sorry about that man, my grandma recentley passed. It sucks, I know.

14. Sorry Mike

John

15. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Write some music, dude. When I die at age 35 just know that I had a fun time. I think after so many years, your gramms lived what she needed too. Probably not too comforting, but what can I do, I'm a douche bag.
    h.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow.....you guys are way too cool. From the bottom of my heart, I say thank you. I never pictured myself being this close to an online community that I would ever look to one for support. Yeah, I hit up a few other boards on the 'net, but I only chose this one to go for help.

I'm still going through the pissed off stage. Not sure who/what/why I'm pissed though. No real regrets on my end. I talked to my grandma Saturday afternoon, and we always got along. No unresolved issues I had with her.

I'm just pissed right now. I have to be careful I don't take it out on my wife, and son. What sucks is that I work at the computer helpdesk for the state of Washington department of health. Not sure how I will respond tomorrow when I get someone being pissy, or grouchy at me.

LPB......she was as healthy as an 89 year old woman can be. No serious medical problems beyond glaucoma, and high blood pressure. The organ donation team did say she had nothing worth "salvaging" besides her skin. I guess 90 year old people need skin implants too? So, they asked about her skin, and her teeth. Weird to me, I don't understand that.

Keith....thanks for the kind words. I may take you up on your offer, and send you an e-mail.

Trev............thanks bro!

-Mike

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm probably going to have this situation happen to me, unfortunately. I have a grandma in the nursing home. She had a strange throat infection that nearly closed off her airways. Then I have another grandma who has cancer. She's not bee feeling well lately. I know how this stuff goes.
    So, I'm here for you bud. Just shoot me a line if you want to talk.

Edit: Sorry about the hijack

18. Argh, dood, that's too bad. :( must be something about this week.

On Wednesday (4th Aug), one of the music teachers that taught up until last year at my school passed away. We only got told about it this morning; I don't think I've ever cried at school. He was only about 60-65, but he was ill with something. I can only hope he died peacefully in his sleep.

I have rehearsals shortly so I'll ask about him then. His funeral's on Friday. :( Thing is, I never had the chance to say goodbye, or say thankyou for his help with my music, so it hit hard.

I've never had anyone close to me die either; like, great-grandparents pass away but they're old so you expect them to. This was a shock. :crying:

We can be grievers together. :D

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike

I am very sorry to here of your loss, Grandma's are some special people.

20. My condolences.