1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Grandpa passed away this evening...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 18, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just got a phone call from my mother, her father passed away due to heart failure.

He'd been in and out of the hospital for heart related problems and diabetes. Has had a few surgeries for his heart, and has generally just been stubborn, refusing to change, but I guess he died happy, so that makes me feel better, but he was a stubborn old man.

He started off his life as a painter, a wonderful artist. My uncles and aunts have a few of his paintings and they're phenominal. There's one hanging in his living room that one day I'd like to have. He was passionate, stubborn, and pretty funny. Until one day he was hit by a streetcar while crossing the road, he couldn't paint the same after that and became an accountant.

He's from Cleveland, always has been, always will be, and knew just about everyone there. Did most of their taxes, was a religious man (the root of my Catholocism) and frankly, was just an all around great guy. He was a manly man, refused to hug other men, just a firm handshake and a kick in the ass. Stubborn old man.

He was diabetic too. Ten years ago his doctors told him to stop drinking. Ten years ago he refused his doctor's warnings and decided not to change his lifestyle. As he put it, he'd lived a long enough life, accomplished enough, and he wasn't going to change for anything. For ten more years he kept on drinking 2-3 fine scotches a day. Ten years and his circulation in his legs decreased. His legs were turning purple and his doctors threatened to start amputating his toes. Ten years of threats like that and he still refused to stop drinking. He said he'd much rather lose his toes than his scotch, and that he wanted his toes back after they were cut off so he could frame him in his living room. Stubborn old man.

He was an avid coin collector, something he got me started on years ago, a hobby that I let fade in the face of music. He was a stubborn old man, something that definately passed down to me. I always looked up to that stubborn old man, but I guess I'm just a stubborn young man.

2. i'm sorry to hear that Tim

I know how you feel...i just lost my grandpa to a two month (???!?!?!) battle with liver cancer. He was a great guy, and just like the way you described your grandpa...very religious, got my cousins and I started on Packer card collections, and always put us before himself...i miss him a lot too...

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My condolences to you and your family. Your grandfather sounds like he lived exactly how he wanted, which is respectable.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Tim, buddy, I feel for you. My grandpa was like that too. I always loved and admired him for being that way. I used to wish I could have that kind of resolve and contentment when I get old.

I'll keep you in my thoughts my friend. If there is anything you feel I can do for you, please let me know.

-Mike

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Timothy

I am very sorry for your loss, Grandpa's can be very special people , I still miss mine very much. How are you doing with this news ?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Better than my mother. She's got a very grim view on the news, I'm looking at it with more optimism. Remembering him for the way he was, not the way he won't be anymore.

I wish I could be at home with her right now, in fact I may just be out of here sometime soon.

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Tim,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know you already know this, but TB is a great place to vent or to reflect or to just get lost in. It's been a tremendous help to me recently.

Peace to your family .......

Ed

8. Thats the way to do it, Tim. I just lost my grandfather to heart failure this year. Keep his spirit alive with the thoughts of him as he was, not what its like now. Ill keep you and your family in my prayers.

Dave

9. Sorry to hear about your loss, Tim.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    My condolences.

11. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    My condolences for your loss. It was very sad when I lost both of my grandfathers in succesive years.

12. Sorry to hear the bad news, my condolences as well.

Carpe Diem!

13. My condolences for your family's loss, Tim. Your optimistic view is mature and impressive. Hang in there with your mom, best wishes to her as well. :(

My grandpa won't be much longer...93 and bored of life. :meh:

14. You've got the memories- keep them alive.

15. tim, sorry to hear of your loss. our thoughts are with you and your family.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :(

My grandfather passes away a couple of years ago and I miss him. :(

17. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I'm glad to see that you're staying optimistic after your grandfather's death. All of my grandparents are still alive, but I'm not so sure I would take it very well if one of them were to die.

18. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Sorry to hear that Tim.

My grandfather passed away last year after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer's. In the end it was a bit of a relief because as bad as it was for the family, it must have been far worse for him.

19. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I send my sympathies to you, friend!

Your grand dad sounds like quite a character! What style of painting?

My wife just lost her mom at 89 two months ago. We were taking care of her and now things are real quiet around here. She was quite active with bowling and hiking until November.

I lost my grandparents on my moms side a couple of years ago. I'm glad they were around for so long and that I had such a long, beautiful relationship with them. I too miss them very much.

Here's to manly men! And beautiful women!

May you find peace, -Ryco

20. My thoughts and prayers are with you Tim. It's tough, but it will work out . You definitely seem to have the right lookout!

-Ray