My Great Delima

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by projectBdaddy8, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Hello to all of the wise bass players of this site:

I am going to try and get some decent amplification within the next week and i was wondering if anyone could help me determine what to shoot for. Ive never purchased amplification equipment so im not sure where to start. And im sure all of you know that not having good amplification really shuts down the whole playing with other people thing, which is what i want to do. First of all, i need to know just what kind of amplification i'll need. Now i know i don't need 2000 watts and 50 10" speakers to drive it, but i dont really have a good idea about what kinda of wattage and speaker powering i will need for my situation. I want to be able to play loud rock music with a full band (including drums). If theres anything else you'd need to know to help me determine, just ask. I could really use some guidance in this area.
  2. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Your post is really too vague to give you any help.

So maybe you can help us out.

What kind of loud rock do you mean exactly?
    How loud is your drummer?
    How loud are the guitar players and how many guitar players?
    Will you have a PA to play through?
    Would you play more outdoor or indoor gigs?
    If indoor, would you mostly play large halls or small clubs?
    What kind of bass do you have?
    How much money do you want to spend?
    How much space do you have in your vehicle to haul it around?
    Is weight and/or size an issue?

Answer those questions so we have a place to start. There are a ton of options available.
  3. What kind of loud rock do you mean exactly?
    well i basically said this so youd know i wasnt playing folk music. though i may possibly play screamo (the real kind) or melodic hardcore stuff, which is pretty loud.

How loud is your drummer?
    don't have a drummer right now (the "vital" link thats missing), but id imagine he wouldnt be a softy in this style of music. need enough power to comfortably play over acoustic drums though.

How loud are the guitar players and how many guitar players?
    right now just one, maybe two, but it would probably be adjusted for this fact. current guitarist plays an old fender tubie, maybe a couple hundred watts

Will you have a PA to play through?
    in the future probably. for practice probably not though.

Would you play more outdoor or indoor gigs?
    probably more indoor, but if the need arose i could arrange to do some "tri-amping" with an old fender tube amp (120 w/2x15) and my little ibanez

if indoor, would you mostly play large halls or small clubs?
    considering the music, probably small venues

What kind of bass do you have?
    i have an ibanez beginner level bass that puts out a good signal, but ill probably play a mid-level active 5-string that for some reason dosent seem to put out as much of a signal. ??

How much money do you want to spend?
    comfortably: 2-300, if neccissary: around 5, maybe more

How much space do you have in your vehicle to haul it around?
    ford bronco II, the back seats can be lowered so that i basically have a small size size truck bed

Is weight and/or size an issue?
    not really, since im not going to "carry" it around regardless.

hope that clears things up more than happy to answer more questions. just let me know
  4. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    Just my 2cents worth;
    get an 8 ohm 4X10 cab and something like a Hrtke 3500 You ought to be able to pick these up used for around $600 and then later on if you want you can add another cabinet either another 4X10 or maybe a 1X15

if you have the cash and the inclination to carry it around , find a SVT with an 8X10 cab.

Hope this helps, curt
  5. just one note...ive thought about the Behringer 3000 (300 watt head) but ive never played or heard one. so if anyone has, please let me know your take on this.
  6. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I don't know of any bass player that does not "carry around" his's got to be moved at some point.

Given your answers...I would look at an amp that is at least 400-500 watts or more. Good advice to get something like an 8 ohm 410 (any 8ohm cab like a 15 would work as well). With an 8ohm cab you can always add another.

If you go with a 4 ohm cab and want to add another later, another 4 ohm cab will drop your ohm load down to 2, so if you go that route be sure whatever amp you get can go down to 2 ohms.

Another route would be a used pre-amp and a used power amp (a cheaper way to get alot of watts).

If you want to get alot of power and go cheaply ($300-$500) try out some used Peavey gear. Very reliable and you can get alot of watts and cabs for very little money.
  7. thanks for info. what i meant by not carrying it around is that ill have some way (cart, hand truck, wheels or something...) to make it easier. so im not going to be "carrying" a 200 lb bass cab around.
    but anyways. thanks for your response. would it be possible to go with slightly lower power (for the time being) like the behringer - 300 W(anyone know if this is any good) and an 8 ohm cab. then maybe adding another cab and bi-amping later? as i said in my earlier post, if need be i could also encorporate the old fender. although i wouldnt mind some more input on used peavey and hartke gear. also, would it matter alot what brand (and quality) power amp i bought?
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It would depend on what the Beringer puts out at 8 ohms.

Most amps will list their output at half of what they put out at 4 ohms...though someone will tell you 2/3. I'm just going on manufacturers specs.

So, if the Beringer puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms, it will only put out 150 at 8 ohms. Unless you have two 8 ohm cabs, then it will equal 4 ohms and you will have the full output plus more speaker mass = volume!
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you want is an Eden WT-550 and a 4-ohm D-410XLT. You won't be buying another rig for a LONG time.
  10. ...correction: i wont be buying anything for a long time
  11. is it possible to buy a cab that is switchable from 4 to 8 ohms? if not, is it possible to change the resistance manually... btw, forgive me for being a moron.
  12. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I recall someone mentioning an ohm switchable cab...but I think it was a VERY expensive cab...I can't recall the manufacturer.

You can buy an 8 ohm cab or a 4 ohm cab. Just keep in mind that with the 8 ohm you can add another 8 ohm cab. With the 4 ohm, unless your amp goes down to 2 ohms, you are stuck with using only the 4 ohm cab alone.

What you could do is by a 4 ohm cab that matches the full output of your amp and leave it at that (provided the amp you select has enough power to begin with).

Again, Peavey makes some nice, powerful amps and cabs that would be in your price range. some people don't like them...and some people think they don't like them because of the stigma of being just low budget equipment. Peavey makes a wide variety of bass amps and cabs and combos. Some aren't that great...but most of their newer stuff is very good...but affordable.

You can get a 350-400 watt Hartke amphead for around $400-$500 and then find a used 410 or 15 (or even a 215) 4 ohm cab for it and it would be plenty loud and usable for many years.

Of course if you went with used Peavey gear, for $500 you could get some pretty powerful stuff and upgrade later as you have the money for it.

Go to a local music store and see what they have for used gear. Almost all used gear can be had for little around.
  13. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    the switchable cab is from Accugroove. and while they're great, they're indeed expensive.