Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My groovy lead bass tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thomas, Jan 24, 2002.

1. This isn't that exciting really but it makes me happy.
    We have two songs that have 'real' bass leads in them where I want the bass to actually seperate itself from the other instruments in the mix.
    I've tried random effects to get the sound I'm looking for but finally at a gig in December I figured out what I really wanted!
    I just crank the high-mids to highs all the way up and switch to my neck pup along with dialing its tone knob all the way up!
    Since then I've made this easier to do by setting the appropriate sliders on my graphic EQ. The Carvin head has a total of 3 eq stages, the first are some preshape buttons, the second parametric knobs, the third a set of sliders, which are footswitchable.
    So now when its time for my bit of wanking I just hit my footswitch and tweak the Ric a bit and I'm ready to rock.
    Whats really cool is that out in the audience it just sounds loud and high but when you're up close to the cabinet, like me and the guitar player, its completely blood curdling!

Oh yeah, and at our last gig I ran around in nothing but my shiny red boxers which was lots of fun.