Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My gui**** needs amp help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by no4mk1, Dec 20, 2004.

1. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My guitarist is running a '65 50 watt fender bassman through a 4 ohm 2x12 cabinet (Bassman amps from this year are rated for 4 ohms).
    This rig sounds fantastic, but is way too loud for some of the small rooms
    we play so we figured a smaller cabinet would help reign in the amp a bit.

He had an old Peavey 1x10 practice amp that we tore the guts out and placed a 10" 4 ohm 50 watt Jenson MOD guitar speaker into. It worked great for about 4 gigs then, pow! During the last song of our last gig the speaker fried.

Did we screw up by using an under powered speaker? Should this have worked fine and we just got a bad speaker?

We haven't found many choices as far as 10" 4 ohm guitar speakers go.

Does anybody have any specific speaker recommendations? I'm thinking that the 50 watt speaker just couldn't handle the constant power amp distortion of the Bassman. Maybe a low efficiency 100 watt speaker? I'm just guessing... Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Chris

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks... The ceramic 100 watt 10" might be just the ticket.

Too bad you can't try 'em out before you buy.

Darn picky gui****s! ;)

4. The new Jensens are VERY cheap speakers made in Italy and are somewhat liberal in their ratings. That "50 watt" speaker was probably a 30 watter. Weber speakers are awesome and priced great and Ted's a great guy, VERY helpful.

5. Sparkie

Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    The other option would be to buy a THD hotplate and stick with the Bassman. Sound/tone wise this is way more viable for a solution. He'll like being in the same room with the Bassman when playing alone at home as well.