My guitar pedal smoked when i used it with bass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Red701, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    i know this might be a newbie question but ive been wanting to try out some effects with my bass and my older brother has alot for his guitar. id like to try them out but i dont want to damage them if they cant handle bass. is that really a problem? thanks for you help.
  2. Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    yeah i read that but last time i tried to use a guitar pedal it actually started smoking. like its insides were on fire. is that a problem with it being used with a bass or was it a power problem?
  3. plugging a bass into a guitar effect isn't going to make it smoke... odd coicidence maybe but most likely to be a power supply problem!
  4. Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    yeah i plugged it into the wall outlet. maby the plug i used was for a different pedal or that particular outlet puts out more power. but im afraid to try it with anything else cause i dont wanna break it
  5. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    short answer, as suggested, is that plugging a bass into any 'guitar' effect pedal will cause no damage at all to the pedal. the only difference as far as input goes is that a bass frequency is discenernably lower than guitar frequencies and typically it takes more headroom to produce a clear bass note.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Sue the manufacturer. Seriously. That's a hazard. No low powered appliance should be catching fire.
  7. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    This right here is the smoking problem, I bet. Check polarity, voltage, and milliamperage on each pedal you want to power, and make sure you're using a proper supply. The polarity, voltage, and current draw in ma should be listed somewhere on the pedal, and somewhere on the transformer a.k.a. wall wart. Make sure they match up, as far as voltage and polarity are concerned.

Your bass wouldn't have fried it, most of my pedals ARE guitar effects, but the wrong voltage at the wrong polarity easily could have torched the thing.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

A bass will NEVER harm a guitar pedal. The problem usually lies in the power supply.