1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My guitar player is letting me design his new rig...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    id drop the PA speakers and get a cab

2. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yeah , why were you looking at pa cabs for a guitar rig ?

3. I think that set up is a terrible idea, actually. I've tried similar guitar rigs and they always sound lousy to me.

4. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Guitar? PA cabs? No, no, no.

Get a proper guitar amp. Tubes. 60 Watts. The multi-FX is OK if there's need for one but PA stuff for guitar won't sound like a real thing.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I like the Fryette power amp - a lot. But dude, you're thinking like a bassist - not like a guitarist... :meh:

MM

6. Yeah, the Fryette is quality gear, but 8" PA cabs is just plain wrong for live guitar.

7. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    if your lookign for cheep and good tone, the marshall AVT head is a beast

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tube combo + quality mic = win.

9. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    If I would play guitar I'd get myself a nice tube combo with decent watts (around 50). You could go with a stack for more versatility and more volume but I would go with a nice combo. Next I'd get myself a tubescreamer clone and a nice reverb/echo/delay and an agressive fuzz (maybe a fuzzface or something from devi).

10. diezel head and cabs

I wish they made bass amps

11. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    are you trying to get him to quit the band? ;)

a simple small tube amp with a mic on it would be much better imo

12. you know what Diezel is making a bass tube amp, Its going to be delicious I bet but I guarantee 3k just for the head

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Even if he's modeling and canny at using a rig built around it, any Gemini stuff I've seen is crap. Maybe those aren't, I suppose.

14. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Combo amp. 40-watts, all tube, 1x12" speaker. Can easily fill a 1200-seat auditorioum without mic (I know from experience) and the tone is AMAZING. Plus, it's much more easily portable than that pile of gear you're looking at. Seriously, this is an amazing combo.

15. ALL TUBE MEDIUM WATT COMBO AMP!

Go to your local shop and try some out. I like Egnater at the price pont, or used Sovtek if you can find it.

16. brobot

brobot

Jun 29, 2008
    Philly
    what style of music? imo, you can't go wrong with a fender twin reverb for all but the heaviest styles. the clean sound is awesome. plus the reverb is really nice. then you can use pedals for distortion, delay, etc. The clean sound provides a really solid foundation for effects. personally, i'd rather take the time to find individual pedals that have the sound you're looking for over an all-in-one unit.

if you need a mic for it, the audix i5 is great. it's kinda like a super sm57.

17. I think we need more information before opinions or suggestions can be solicited.

What kind of playing style? What kind of music? What factors are important to him? What goal is he looking to accomplish with the rig? Studio only? Small clubs, or arenas?
    See what I mean? I wouldn't want to suggest a JC120 if he wants the sound of a stack, etc.

Give us some parameters to work within.