My guitar player makes my ears bleed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 26, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok so maybe that's an exaggeration......
    me, i discovered the miracle of downsizing in the past 5 years and love it....lil' lightweight cabs, lighter power amps, etc.............
    so the guy i hook up with has wonderful tone - a tone freak...just got a bogner xtc that made his marshall sound like a toy........super tone
    but what a neurotic hair's a struggle to get him to turn down as "the gain affects my tone"
    worse still...........he brings out 2 4x12 cabs because "the amp sounds different at 8 ohms than at 16 ohms".........i say "tony, buy an 8 ohm 2x12...please?"............"but ivan, i can't hear my amp with just one 4x12 cabinet because i'm too tall........i hear it thru the top could i hear a 2x12?"
    i say.........."dude...........i can hear it........everyone in the venue can hear it........people in sri lanka can hear it....."
    like the drunks can tell the subtle difference in tone that 8 ohms
  2. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Never underestimate a drunk man's ability to differenciate between 8 and 16 ohms.... i learned that the hard way :D :confused:

but anyway, If he won't listen to sense make him listen to proof. Try to record the full band playing with the guitarist at 8ohms and then the same song again with him at 16ohms. See if he can honestly tell the difference.

3. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    If this guy's all about tone, tell him to pick up a Marshall Power Brake. It's a Marshall attenuator that will let him play at higher gain with less volume. Basically it lets him crank his amp, send the signal through the attenuator, which decreases the volume then it goes into the cab. He'll have the same tone, but less volume.
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, you could tell him to tilt the 2x12 or lift it on something. Guitarists :rolleyes:
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW the guitarist in my #1 band (who happens to be my brother; we have the sibling rivalry thing going which doesn't help) uses just a 2x12 and *still* gets way too loud! This isn't just my opinion; the drummer and singer often have to tell him to turn down. Humans don't have ears on our ankles: in other words, a 2x12 sitting on the floor is a problem on small stages where we have to stand right in front of our amps. My guitarist finally invested in an amp stand but it doesn't work well with his 2x12 stack; he only uses it with his 1x12 combo which he doesn't always use.

What your guitarist could do at the minimum is buy an 8 ohm 4x12 and sit it on top of one of his other 4x12 cabs. He'd only use the top cab, but it would be closer to ear level and he'd still have that kewl look :meh: of a big stack. Maybe you could convince him to do the same thing but with 2x12 on top instead of 4x12. Good luck.
  6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    he tried a power brake and said it affected his tone - lol
    good suggestions but i dunno if he's gonna ever consider one of them
    just venting:p
  7. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Haha, a powerbrake is supposed to affect his tone the way it sounds like he likes it, haha. I say have him put the 2x12 on a stand also.
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Here's two things:

1. Tinnitus. A physical condition that results in constant ringing in your ears. In advanced stages, the afflicted loses all hearing except for the ringing in their ears. If you love music, you should love your ears. Trust me when I say hearing loss will reduce your enjoyment and performance of music. For all you know, the guy may have already lost his hearing from playing so loud. So what's more important - ultimate tone, or being able to hear any tone? Do you want to make music for life or for now?

2. Bands lose gigs for being too loud, more than for being too talentless. This is a hard truth. We see those ads for the huge stacks that are
    endorsed by the guys who play stadium gigs. And guys who dream about those kinds of gigs buy them. Do you play stadiums? Or stages that seat 1000+? He's probably the kind of guy who think you need a new PA, bass amp, and drums because they aren't loud enough. Tell him to get out of fantasy and into reality. He can pretend he is Pete Townsend (who suffered from Tinnitus) somewhere else.

You could use earplugs, but it protects the band but not the audience. You want to get the point across? Book a gig, and let him play at his volume and watch the people (especially the Ladies) stream out. Actually a good manager will tell you to turn down before everyone leaves. Ask the bar manager or whoever for feedback on your performance. Keep on doing this until he gets the point. Sure your band will probably have to change it's name because the local promoters, booking agents, and bar owners know you as the "Band who was so loud, that they drove my clientele away and I lost money that night".

But maybe you guys are playing the big stadium gigs, and I'm just talking out my a$$. Enough of my 2 cent wisdom ripped off from an episode of "Kung Fu". Take care of your ears, so you can groove into your Golden Years.
  9. A Marshall Powerbrake negatively affects tone. I'd go for a THD Hotplate or Weber Mass over the Powerbrake.
  10. in my opinion, the word "marshall" stamped on any gear will degrade guitar tone.

jive is right. the guy's probably deaf already.
  11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You know another way to make a guitar player turn down his volume? Put some sheet music in front of him!
  12. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Right, you've got some pretty good replies here but if they don't work...

Insert foot in guitarist rectum.
    Unplug amp.
    Insert guitarist head into aformentioned amp.
    Get a better guitarist.
  13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    only one problem - the guitarist is 6'4" and 270# of solid muscle - he can pick me up and twirl me around
    but seriously we are good freinds
    i'm winning the battle, but slowly
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I also played with a LOUD guitarist named Tony...your description, though, doesn't fit my guy(about 5'5", 140lbs; looks just like David Fuizcynski, IMO)).
    In addition to being LOUD, he played with a lotta of effects & through a himself, he sounded huge & phat; within a band(drums/bass), his tone sucked up every available frequency. make matters worse, he doubled everything when we did record our EP.
    Needless to say, my SM-400/Goliath 4x10 didn't cut the bill. I ended up buying a larger power amp & played with pain until that band disolved.

When confronted(by myself + the drummer who couldn't hear himself or me)-
    Tony always said he "hadda FEEL IT...see what I'm sayin'?
    By "Feel"...he meant literally.

BTW, I still play with him(IMO, he is a cool player with nice ideas)...he is now using an 18-Watt Top Hat amp within a jazzy/groove band environment.
  15. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    True, I just figured that the Powerbrake was a more recognizable name.
  16. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Anyone ever hear the song "The Man Who Was Too Loud" by Frank Black & The Catholics?
  17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Tell your g***tar holder to put his amp on a riser or tilt it back at his head. He obviously does not have any respect for the rest of the band or the audience. It is all about him.
  18. The crotch has the answer.

Otherwise just leave, pack your bags for the night. Next time do it again.

I blew many a speaker trying to keep up with one of the guys I played with. My ears would ring and it wasn't from my volume.
    All this to practice.

Talent should be available at all volumes not one.