my guitar shape..good or bad?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steve-o, Jan 2, 2004.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well here is my design..this one is going to be a guitar..and the next one a bass

what do you think? suggestions

this one is going to have p-90 pups in it
    bolt on neck..but the bass is going to be a neck through..

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Do you like it?

It's not my thing, but I won't be playing it.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not too bad, it's got a bit of an Alembic vibe to me, but it does look a bit neck heavy. And maybe a bit uncomfortable seated.

What's that puppy made out of?
  4. mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    I dig it. It's different. I'm not too sure what's going on at the upper horn there. Is it supposed to have that little notch there, or will it be more like a single cut? I think the notch would be cool. Love the bottom. The lower bout could use a little smoothing on the curve there. It looks to me that the curve starts smoothly, then straightens out then picks back up to a curve again. Kinda breaks my curve-following mojo. Could be shadows or the photo, though. That's usually how my curves look when I hand-draw them, though, so I was wondering. I've moved to using CAD software and a big ol' printer exclusively, so I don't have to draw curves myself.

Now, what is that wood you're designing on?
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    this is just a rough template..and its flamed maple...

and remember this is a guitar its based of a tele body...which is what i play...should be fine in the neck dive department

yes the curves are alittle rough but in the final body that will ba taken care of.

now where to get really nice flame maple for the front and back?

its also a poplar middle

yes i do like it..hehe

6. It looks like the Elephant man
  7. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Where'd you buy the wood for your rough template? I'm going to be building one as soon as I can find all the right woods for the template and all.
  8. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Is their a major reason to use wood for the template? Usually MDF is the material of choice. For that you can go just about anywhere, lows and home depot are sure to have it.
  9. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks. I just wanted to see how the body would look like cut out and see if it needs improvement.
  10. It doesn't look bad..

FOr my taste the lower curve of the butt is a bit too prominent.. And the upper horn is a bit too short althought it's a singlecut..

It's still not bad for an original design.. Hey.. I just didn't get the neck thing.. How is it going to be, neck thru or bolt on???
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I don't really like the lower half of it. To ME, it just looks off to my eye. However, if you like it-that's all that matters. I think it has potential. I'm sure you'll do what i've done, I made a good 14 some odd shapes before i found one that i liked even after a week or 2 of leaving it [so i can get an objective eye rather than one that has settled]. I used 1/8 or 1/4 Ply to do the intial sketches. I then used particle board to get a bit bigger/more real feel to it. Finally, i glued 2 pieces of particle board together so i'd have a piece that is right about the same thickness and size as my body blank. :) Have Fun