1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My guitarist friend understands bass! Also newbie band questions.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by b4nny, Sep 16, 2008.

1. b4nny

b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Hi, I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm 13 years old. I go to middle school, and am in 8th grade, been playing bass for almost 5 months.

I have a friend at school who plays guitar. Two actually, but the other one is a whole different story. This guy has been playing guitar for 4 years, and it's awesome. I was asking him about what music he likes, and kind of hinting about a band (though all I've got is a practice amp and a preamp pedal, bass coming this week). I asked him what he thought of the album ...And Justice For All. Guess what he said? Yeah. "Great album man, but it needs more bass!" He then recommended some Iron Maiden songs because of their bass parts. He has also said vaguely in other situations that he likes to hear the bass and sometimes wants it louder in certain songs! :eek:
    I think forming a band with this guy would be a big win on my part. Agree?

Also, how do you get around the fact that I'd be nowhere loud enough for a band setting? Pray that the place I'm going to has a nice setup waiting for me? Maybe some nice people out there can provide some links about this whole band thing other than the stickies in this part of TB. Thanks guys! Love this place.

2. EliasR

EliasR

Jul 29, 2008
    Anchorage
    Just get out and play with him. Don't beat around the bush. If you don't have a drummer, you guys can just play low volume when you jam together.

I would like to add, as a fellow 13 year old who's played for 2 years, I recently quit all my bands to persue solo looping bass. Thought I'd point that out.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Right on, I wish I would have picked up the bass at 13 instead of 17, but yeah, the guy would probably be cool to jam with. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone that jams will have a bass amp you can use. Or if you pool some money together you can rent a rehearsal studio with a backline and play out of an Ampeg Stack. Youre young, and have lots of time ahead of you, but when you can afford it you'll want to get yourself a nice bass rig so when it comes to jamming you can blow all your guitar playing friends out the door!

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Definitely start a band with him - sounds like when I started my first band...

When I was your age I was jamming with a drummer and a guitar/singer in my parent's garage or my buddy's basement. We didn't have any serious gear, just barely loud enough to be heard over the drums. Just have fun with it, and don't worry about having amazing gear right now. Just learn the craft and develop your skills. Rock on!

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    What are you looking for? Not sure what you're getting at by asking for other links. Using the search function (especially the Google based) usually comes up some pretty good stuff. If you add 2008 (or any other year) to your search terms, you can selectively find threads that are posted in that year.

What questions do you have that you think might be answered about "the whole band thing" outside of Band Management"? How to start a band? How to approach a guitar player about starting a band? What's a good bass amp for a band? What are good songs to learn for a bass player? What's it like to be in a band? What should a newbie bass player be studying?

Also, since you've already studied and learned all the TB stickies in this part of TB, maybe you can enlighten the rest of us with what you think about them and how they can be improved?

There's no magic to this stuff.

Practice for hours (check TB Bass Instruction), learn tunes, (get a job) buy equipment (check TB Amps, Basses, etc), practice some more, try to find guys that you can jam/play with, when that falls apart, do it again, when you get booted out of the band you founded, then you do it again, all the while practicing and buy more/different equipment. Hopefully your manual dexterity and musical talent allows you develop enough skills to be able to play in some good bands along the the yellow brick road of music.

So you'll put in several thousand hours (maybe tens of thousands of hours) along the way, hoping to get with some people that you can work with for a reasonable amount of time and hopefully, you can make a bit of money along the way. And if you're really into it, it will be totally satisfying and while, sometimes frustrating, you'll have a great time doing it and you wouldn't have it any other way.