My Guitarist Got A Whammy Pedal....Need To Vent

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cjgallen, May 21, 2003.

1. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Gawd, I show up to band practice, and I see that big red pedal sitting on the ground. Damnit.

And of course, the first thing he does is try and figure out where he can use it in our current songs :meh: Me and the drummer look as if we'd just been violated, while the guitarist grins and says "damn, that sounds cool right there! This is gonna sound awesome during the show!"

We have a gig Friday, and he is dead set on showing that bad boy off :( I'm planning on wearing a disguise so nobody associates me with him :ninja:

Even the OTHER guitarist was annoyed...or jealous...hard to say :p

That pedal is going to get hurt...very badly.
  2. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    I have one of those....

its used for volume though, thats all.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've noticed that guitar players get tired of those units quickly. Give it some time. I got mine from a guitarist who got lost interest in it.

If whammy pedals are used tastefully, musically and sparingly, they are a nice addition to the palette.
  4. Tell him to restrict it to solos for now.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    the same can be said about any effect IMO. But that's an acquired skill in itself, knowing when it works and when it doesnt.
  6. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Why would he listen to me? I just play bass :rolleyes:
  7. Tell him you and the drummer will fire him on the spot if he uses it outside of a solo. Guitarists are a dime a dozen.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Kill him. That is what I did, and it worked out quite well.
  9. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Any tips on disposing the body?
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the guitar player in my band and the baddest jazz guitar player in town both have them, use them in the right spots, and sound great. :shrug:
  11. Let him get over the new factor and he'll settle down with it. The guitarist in my band plays w/ a whammy on a bunch of tunes but does so tastefully and only when required. However i did suffer thru alot of divebombs and other noises during the first week. Cool thing about this pedal, they get bored of it quickly.

Concentrated acids remove flesh quickly, then try to decalcify/demineralize the bones. After this the whole body should pretty much flush down the drain
  12. Presumably, they didn't take them out on gigs until they had spent several weeks getting the novelty factor out.
  13. Like the wicked witch, guitarists dissolve when covered in water. Especially if it is mixed with soap.
  14. Just have the band take the name "Press Your Luck" (like the now-gone gameshow...). The most often heard phrase on the show was "No Whammies!"...:D
  15. 1-steal the pedal

2-kick him out of the band

3-plug your bass into the right side, and your amp into the left side of the pedal

4-cover guitar and bass parts

did you see the documentary about the guy who learned the pattern of the flashing board on "press your luck"? i sware, that guy was a werewolf. hairy 80's men scare me.
  16. An image of a jazz guitarist doing dive bombs in the middle of a gig just flashed before my eyes. Good stuff. :D
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or when exposed to sheet music.
  18. Well, I could see someone like John Abercrombie or Bill Frisell using one in a "legitimate" context as a textural device, or maybe for Fripp-like harmonized lines...but Tom Morello swoops? Nuh-unh.
  19. Sheet music is 100% effective.
  20. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Any pedal's like that one time my guitarist got some cheap fuzz pedal an hour before practice and fiddled with it the entire practice.

I guess the music gods were offended cause it ended up blowing he's amp speaker :) :)