Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Guitarist Has a Huge Ego

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by moxnix9, Jul 3, 2002.

1. If you don't want to read all this just start at the orange guy below. Well I don't know why I didn't post this awhile ago seeing that this all started at our closed party gig. My guitarist has always been a real bossy pushy guy who thinks his way is the best way. I learned quickly to co-op with this. So the day of the party we rehearsed and he would point out the tiniest problems trying to fix them without my say or the drummer's. Then I would threaten him by saying it's my PA system and my garage(yes not the nicest thing but it worked). Which made my best friend and me laugh cuz he would curse at me like he was all cool. Not to mention he has no rhythm at all because he isn't in a music class. My drummer and I have great rhythm cuz we're both in orchestra so we have to keep it while the guitarist learns how to. :oops:Well we had finished our set list and some idiot we invited said, "R.J.," that's the guitarist,"play more!" So guess what he did! He played "Good Riddance", "What Went Wrong?", and something he made all by himself while the drummer and I just packed up and got off stage. Anyone else have this problem? Also, his ego has only grown since then!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    get.
    a.
    new.
    guitarist.

it's easy! it's fun! it can make julienne fries!

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Kick the loser to the curb. I don't have time for musicians with egos, and I espcially don't have time for musicians with egos who can't even play well. If you have the PA, you are holding a lot of cards then. I say kick him out, or go out on your own.

4. Your right I should get a new one but I've given some good ideas to this band and I don't want him to use them with someone else. But what the hell I'll start looking now.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let him try - make sure you use them too.

6. Let's put it this way: a share of WorldCom stock (currently trading at a stunning $0.24) is worth more than most guitarists.

Find a new one.

7. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    Personally, I would get rid of him. Lucky for me I don't have that problem, both my guitarists actually want to be in a band which has a stand out bassist, and i dont have a problem with that.:D

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've got an even better idea that'll be more painful to him. Invite a BETTER guitarist to sit in, and do an SRV cover. Guitarist HATE better guitarists.:p

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Fight fire with fire. Brilliant. [​IMG]

10. You know, kid, after you started talking to me the last couple of days over AIM you already know basicaly how I see your situation. This won't be your last band so don't fret so much about it. If your drummer sides with you then just get rid of the guitarist.

Here's a couple things to think about:

1. Whoever is singing gets the most attention. It's just the way it is, the singer is the "Frontman" of the band. If the guitarist wants to accomodate the requests of a friend or two, why not? You were playing in a garage after all, surrounded by FRIENDS rather than strangers in a bar or club. I've never seen a particularly well organized set for a house party.

2. If you're in a band, there is always someone that has to take the innitiative. It is harder and harder to keep a band together if it is only one person doing this everytime.

3. After talking to you, I don't think that your guitarist is the only person in your band with a big ego.

You might want to sit down and have a heart to heart band meeting before blowing the guy off. Perhaps you can come up with some "Encore" songs to play (that includes the whole band) in the event that your audience wants more.
    While on tour last year my band's set list was 9 songs long, but when we played a house party we ended up playing 13 songs and then collapsing from the heat! (it was 115 degrees out)
    Normally we would never had done such an unplaned set, but being that the house audience was a mass of our drummer's friends, it was more like a friendly get together than an actual show. We played all of our encore songs plus a unrehersed one.
    That's the way I would view your garage party as well.

~Ad

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I saw the title of this thread and refused to believe it! :eek:

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez, ad. At our last gig, I put 13 songs in each set. Luckily, we only played three sets with three encores, so it was 42 songs. So what, you ask? The youngster in our band is 45 years old. I'm fifty-humping-three, goin' on 54. It was hot and muggy, but we ruled. Do some sit-ups, my friend.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    KICK HIM IN THE THROAT!

14. guitar players naturally have an ego. but so does eveyone else in the band. admitted or not. so don't let three songs stand in the way of what you love to do. i've replaced guitar players, drummers and singers before. and pretty soon i learned that problems fix themselves as long as you are willing to do what it takes to get where you want to go. so keep rockin and stop giving a poo about one person getting more attention than the others. if you need to replace him, guitar players are a dime a dozen!

15. Munjibunghole,

Hahaha! It matters a lot on how much you exert yourself. You are an old fogie and probably don't move very much. Breathing is probably a workout.
    Just kidding!;)
    But in all actuallity our songs (all originals) can be a pretty exhausting set. A couple of our songs are around 7 to 10 minutes in length and are pretty complicated to play. Combine that with jumping around in cramped quarters in 115 degree heat (phoenix in late july) and we'll see how exhausted you feel.
    So there. Poo-head.

~Ad

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ad ~

OK, there's some truth in your observations. But, if I were 30 years younger, I'd be forced to come over there and kick your hiney. As it is, don't hurt me.

17. Munjers,
    Don't worry, I wouldn't dare hurt you. You probably have a closet full of high-end lawyers just waiting for that scenario. :D

We may exhaust ourselves within a 40 minute set, but if we were as lucky as to get a gig playing 3 sets in a day, no one would come! People would get sick of us rather fast if we were playing everytime they turned around. I'd love to play all day long in some Jazz club if I could, but alas, my mohawk doesn't exactly attract jazz musicians unless they are gawking. :(

~Ad

18. OK, I'm talking to the guitarist tomorrow. I'm not gonna break up with him though. I'm just gonna open his mind to other music rather than just blink and see if this is really what he wants to do. That ego will shrink a lot too, guranteed. I'll post tomorrow and tell you how it went. Wish me luck.

19. Just talked to him. He was playing his g**tar of course. He said that he's not sure he wants to do this for a living. He'd rather play football then get on stage with me. "We'll see how it plays out", he said. Still with his bossy ways and large ego. I asked if he was playing different styles of music and he said yes while breaking into the intro to "Stairway to Heaven" and "Sweet Home Alabama.":rolleyes: Like this is suppose to impress me?! I feel no different towards this guy, so forget it. I tried and he could've cared less.