Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My guitarist hates my new bass.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Jun 2, 2005.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It's kind of like when you were an only child, and all of a sudden, there's a new baby in the house....

Well, about 2 weeks ago, I got my Whale Pool Blue burst Dingwall Afterburner 1 bass...2 days after getting it, I brought it and used it for practice. Our keyboard player and drummer thought it was stunning and that it sounded killer. Even our singer noticed it right away, and she doesn't tend to notice that kind of stuff.

Our guitar player on the other hand, won't acknowledge it's existence. At all. He won't look at it, come over to the side of the practice room where I'm playing, and when everyone else commented, he turned his back to his amp and fiddled with it uncomfortably.

That night, we played out, and once again, people were freaking out. People in the audience were not only coming up to comment on it, but also on how great it sounded. The sound guy was in full meltdown mode about how great it is.

Not our guitarist. He stayed on his side of the stage, and frowned, with his brownburst Warmoth strat in hand. He acted grumpy all nite long and wouldn't say a single word to me (keep in mind he's in his mid-40's, not 14).

Then last night, we were talking on the phone, and he specifically told me he thought I shouldn't play it. He told me that it has awful tone and, straight out, that the finish was um, ugly. He said that my PRS had so much better tone that it wasn't even close. Hmmmm. I told him the PRS had as much negative about it's sound as good and left it at that. On the finish thing, it doesn't surprise me, since he's of the black or sunburst only school of color, AND if it's designed after 1962, then he hates the style (almost makes me wish I got a Bongo). He hates my Midnight Blue MIA Jazz bass too, even though it sounds great with its fralins.

Now, my housemate tells me his guitarist is the same way, and asked if he was an only child (he is)...and he called this GUITARIST-ONLY-CHILD-SYNDROME.

:(

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Sounds like someone's jealous that they didn't get a new instrument. When our drummer got a new kit, we were all happy for him, as was everyone when I got a new rig. Anything that makes the band sound better is a + IMO. :meh:

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ...that and your taking some limelight. In his emotionally underdeveloped brain, it's his limelight.

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    im the opposite of that guy, i freaked out when my drummer got his new paiste crash, he actually had to tell me to STFU :ninja:

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The weird thing is that, well...he's not a spotlight kind of guy...he would rather be in the back corner and when we play he kinda looks off into space over his shoulder and stuff.

I'm the one up front playing it up with our very sexy female vocalist. That was one of my reasons for wanting a nice top in a colorful finish. We as a band could use a little flash (lately I've had a bit more playing flash too).

The whole thing got our keyboard player upset too...as he said, "I would be psyched if you got a $50 bass as long as you liked it and sounded good on it. I'd be happy for you".

6. I think you need to post pictures. Of the bass, too.

7. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    also, pix?

8. i donno, i really just hate the crash symbol, especially with rock drummers that think they can use it anywhere they like in a song

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Band:

[​IMG]

She's one of those dress-up all fancy for showtime girls..and not bad at just over 6' tall, + heels. That's not a great picture, but in person she could stop yer heart. And we describe her vocals as Aretha-goes-to-Kingston.

Bass:
    [​IMG]

Also prettier in person.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm with you...I prefer a super-light crash, so its sound disolves quickly...used very sparingly. There's no crashing about in reggae.

Also, I'll take a new drummer's ride cymbal and move it into a different room the first few times he practices with us until he starts leaving it at home.

11. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    None of his damn business what you play as long as:

a - it sounds good
    b - it doesn't hurt anyone
    c - you show up on time, sober
    d - you know your part prior to rehearsal and performance
    e - you make minimal mistakes (and most of us make mistakes from time to time)
    f - you don't beat him senseless for his less than broad minded opinions of your equipment choices

I've got, uhh, 17 basses of various brands at the moment, and yes, I have a Bongo (great instrument, by the way). If someone told me what he told you, I'd ask him to specifically tell me what he doesn't like. And don't tell me it doesn't have "tone." What kind of tone? Precision? Jazz? Alembic? Gibson T-Bird? MusicMan? Too bright? Too muddy? Doesn't cut through the mix? Be specific! And don't tell me you don't like the shape or color - that's way too subjective. If it's a matter of having the sound for the tune, that's another matter.

Bottom line is if your Dingwall accomplishes what you and your band need, the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on. I've never played a Dingwall (seen them up close in Korea, though), so I can't comment to playability, tone, etc. They do have nice workmanship, though I can't say I personally care for the looks. If it works for you, however, that's all that truly matters and your guitarist should understand and accept that.

This guy sounds like one of those "you're the bass player, and you're not supposed to stand out" type of guys I've seen throughout the years. What I've done in similar instances is walk away, or tell the individual to pound sand. I suggest you do the same if that is within your range of options or choice.

Alan

12. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I really like that bass. I played one very similar to it at Bass Central.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Thanks for the input, Alan!

He and I haven't talked about it in detail yet, but I'm sure it will come up. The funny thing is that he didn't like the PRS when I first got it either. From what I can figure, part of the problem is that the PRS has so much low end that he's missing it. That's part of the reason I like the Dingwall...it's got a lot more useable tonal range. It has low end, but also punch in the mids and highs that aren't obnoxious. The PRS plays like a dream, but it has serious tonal problems...it has tons of lows and low lows, but not much else. It's got a scooped mid and the high is voiced oddly. So, when I play it I have 1 really good reggae sound and not much else. What he really wants is big lows and not much else.

This would be ok, if all we did was 70BPM roots reggae, but we also cover some funk and soul territory and dancehall. Even some of the regular reggae stuff is quick 16th note at 90-100+ BPM stuff, and I (and the band) need definition and punch to make it play right. I personally need the mids that this bass has, or I'll keep having to play too loud and keep damaging my hearing, not to mention the bloody mitts I had to nurse due to lack of definition I was making up for with right hand attack.

I'm also wondering if part of the tone problem is him not being used to my amp setup these days. I've recently switched heads and cabs, towards the same ends. I'm thinking I might try to add some lows to my eq tomorrow night (we're doing a big area festival) and see if that smooths things a bit. Then I'll just turn the lows back a little at a time until I've weaned him off of the mud.

He definitely loved the sound of my old 73P and of course the PRS. They both have very chubby bottoms.

I think probably one of the other problems is that I've really jumped into the deep end of the pool in the past 6 months. I practice between 1.5 and 4 hours a day, and my level of proficiency has increased a lot. I decided that I was tired of feeling like the remedial bass player after 20 years, AND I couldn't gripe at others about their practice habits (or lack thereof) if I wasn't living up myself. I also figure that if I'm playing well and comfortable, then I can spend more effort focusing on some stage presence instead of looking down at my fingers (back 'in the day' that what it was like). I've been focusing on my feel and groove, and trying to balance out with keeping things simple.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes, that's where it came from...but this one never hit the floor. They got it in and turned it around within a day or so. I guess the color is a 'custom' color for BC too.

On that tip, Grasshopper was beyond cool. Like well above and beyond, to the point where he even called me yesterday when he got wind there might have been a problem (there wasn't). I have nothing but gratitude and respect for him and BC. Not only that, the good service didn't stop after I bought the bass, but continues still. AND the man knows his wood stock.

15. That is a great attitude to have. I don't practice as much as I probably should. My chops are ok, but I'm more of a pocket player. Still, wouldn't hurt to practice more.

Nice bass btw... ;)

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Thanks! I grew it myself. ;)

It came down to always being unhappy with the band's overall performance (and even worse, my own), and me being on the verge of firing our drummer (the others agree but are a bit passive) for crimes of drumming too diverse to list here. Then I realized I was part of the problem too. I really have fun now, I like practicing, and playing out is more satisfying, AND I can be the solid player to follow on stage, so we don't have to count on our drummer, or the 3 fill-in drummers we use regularly. I can also direct 'on stage traffic' more easily if I can ride on autopilot in places.

Yeah, this is where I was...but being a better player (in my mind) means that my pocket can be deeper without running on at the fingers. Those little pickups, double stops, etc, are a lot tighter and natural. *sigh* I still have a long road ahead.

Thanks on the bass! I know it's not for everyone, but I love its sound, and every curve of it's body. :)

17. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Tell him to P*ss off...he's the guitar player..what would he know about anything anyway....LOL

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    guitar players need to be the center of attention. thats why they play guitar. obviously your guitar player is a hater. screw him. he see's your bass is putting you in the spotlight, so offcourse he is going to tear you down.

f him

if someone in my band did that, i would just play right in his face at practice.

19. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    The guy's a prik.

I'm burying my dad later today, and if there's one lesson I've learned through all this, it's that life's too short - rid yourself of this negative vibe generator and get on with the business of making good music.

20. Bill, your guitarist needs a Red Sparkle G&L Legacy with the MFD pickups and a mirror pickguard. That should solve both his tone and appearance problems with your bass. Give him something else to worry about. We should start a fund to buy him one. The first time I brought out my coral pink Strat with the pearloid guard a few years ago, it got lots of nasty comments despite the Fralin pickups.

You know I can be pretty grumpy about changes myself and it sounds like he is pretty much a stodgy old stick in the mud guy like me. OTOH, he must have some spirit of experimentation and fun, or he wouldn't be playing the kind of music you guys play. I'd try to find a way to acknowledge that he is missing the bottom end of the PRS while encouraging him to loosen up a little bit. Maybe you can promise him that your next purchase will be a 60s vintage SVT with a couple similar vintage Ampeg 2x15 cabs. And you will be glad to let him carry them around. I'm not so sure that he is jealous, as just uncomfortable with change.