1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my guitarist is making fun of me!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, May 1, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Not sure if this should be in bass humour or strings,

anyway, i was helping our guitarist fix his PC, and i saw a pack of ernie ball super slinkies on his table. so i asked him if he restrung recently, and he did.

I asked him how much guitar strings were, and he said they are around £5 a pack!. the bass version of the super slinkies are 3 times the price!:crying:

ever since he i told him this he has been constantly bragging to me about the fact that his strings cheaper.

i must not tell him that electric guitar black beauties are only £10 a pack

2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    There is more material used in the construction of bass strings and they don't break nearly as often or easily as guitar strings. So it would make sense that they would cost more.

3. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Buy flats and keep them on for 5 years. 5 years of laughing on his behalf :D

4. Only five?:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

5. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Ha Ha , five years ................then you boil them and put them straight back on.

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

I think im going to invest in a plastic tube and some denatured alcohol

7. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Some pairs can last 10 years. I dont think I'll EVER snap a string and I do play hard sometimes. My brother snaps a guitar string every month at least. Even if they're cheaper, bass strings IMO come in ALOT cheaper over time. Tell him hes the one who had to spend 5 pounds to restring ;)

8. Yup...guitar strings ARE a fiver a pack for ernie balls, and good Rotosound bass strings are £22 or something...

...but think of it this way, if you like your bass to sound like a BASS (i.e. not "clanky") when your strings will last you as long as you need them to (and you could have a go at the meths thing if ya like the zing...), whereas his will snap EVERY other week during band practice (which is what...say £5-10 a month on new strings if he decides to change the whole set once a month AS WELL as replacing bust strings?) - NOW who's laughing at who?:smug:

(DON'T buy single guitar strings from Utopia Music in Barnsley...its £1.50 a string or something...or about $3.15 for the yanks)

9. Grab his guitar and start slapping. That will prove the better strings..

10. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    awww...next time he's ribbing you wait till he's not looking then sneek up behind him with a used E string you took off your bass and wrap it around his neck and pull really tight while telling him....see bass strings cost more but there are many other valuable uses for them such as this.....then let him live.....you need him to play guitar and who wants to go to jail:smug:

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    And don't forget to ask him, "Who's your daddy?"

12. He is a guitar player, he already loses any battle you can wage agaisnt him.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It's not nice to make fun of the handicapped! ;) :D

14. You need to hit your guitarist with one of them BC Rich basses that come with sharp pointy bits. That'll learn 'im.

15. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Challenge him to an escape artist competition, he ties you up with guitar strings, and you tie him up with bass strings.

16. That COULD result in some nasty cuts for the guy tied up with guitar strings :smug:

17. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

you can get some nasty cuts from just playing the guitar.

ive yet to see this happen when playing bass

18. Nah...bass is "Bilster City" rather than the guitar, which is "Cutsville" :D

19. I've only gotten blisters once, and that was the first time I played bass. Played for about 5 hours though. You should see my guitarists hands, he got a rash (think it's cronical (sp?)) all over his hands, and gets nasty cuts all of the time.

My fingers starts to hurt after just a few minutes with a guitar. I hate those tiny, sharp strings...

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Your guitar player's hands have chronic? Duuuude....whoa...gnarly, brah!

He actually may have an allergy to his strings, or it could be psoriasis, eczema, or a fungal infection (tinea). Have him see a doctor.