1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Guitarist is on Heavy drugs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SolarMan, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I'm trying to put an old dude band together just for kicks - not to make money or nothing like that...

I'm almost 50 and I recently connected with my old "high school" guitarist. Just to kick back and have a couple beers and have my 18 year old neighbor bang the drums while we try to rock it. (while we look for a 50 year old drummer).

Old guitar friend (we had a band back in highschool) says that alcohol is absolutely out of the question, especially in front of an 18 year old.

I agreed that we won't drink while he is around, but next thing I know...I go into my bathroom (thinking that it was empty) and find him with a needle in his lower leg.

He told me that he is diabetic and that it was insulin.

I don't believe him and now...I find out the 18 year old is smoking pot in my basement and blowing the fumes out the bulkhead. (I suprised him while letting my dogs out...he peeped out the basement and was shocked to see me standing there).

Now the 18 year old neighbor is telling me it is for medical reasons...

***?

Why do drugs and music always seem to go together?

I'm going solo.

EDIT/UPDATE: Thanks to many of the replies here I was able to find out the truth without accusing my friend, so all ended well - I admit I am embarrassed to have jumped to the wrong conclusion but I guess that is part of the human condition. Yes, I learned a valuable lesson, and thanks again to those of you who helped me see the light!

2. Start over! You dont need those problems!

3. ya i would too, its best not to be around such problems.

4. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Agreed Don't walk, but run. Nothing but problems waiting for you there, especially if people are lying about their drug use.

As they say: "How do you know an addict is lying?.....His lips are moving..."

5. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    IMO weed isn't that big of a deal, just tell the kid you don't want it being smoked on your property. If he cops an attitude that just shows that he's a douche.

As far as hard drugs go, IMO thats a no go. I was in a band with a singer who was a raging heroin addict and it was a horrible time for all involved.

6. I agree weed is no big deal, but the kid is 18 and his parents are friends of mine. I won't rat him out but I feel guilty about the whole "band on drugs" theme.

Still, I am wondering it the whole thing is worth it.

In retrospect, my favorite musicians were all on drugs...Charlie Parker, Paul McCartney, Jaco, Hendrix, Jamerson (and on, and on, and on)...

Is this just a part of playing music?

7. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    and how many of those people lived to a ripe old age?

i dont feel its worth it, in any way

8. Music and arts aid in expanding the mind. Its no surprise that those with a penchant for mind expansion may experiment with other mind "expanding" substances ;)

9. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    Thankfully people live like they want to live. And not like a handful of men tell them to.
    Not many 50 year old junkies out there still shooting. Could be... dont mean he is a bad guy. Lot more folks get their mind warped from drugs they get from men in white coats.

How did it sound??

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    All I can say is, it's been a very long time since drugs were cool.

11. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Never, ever, ever, talk to that guy again. Don't answer e-mails or calls.
    It is too much of a liability personally, ethically, and even financially.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Anything drug related is a red flag that begs you to run away...especially when it's being done behind your back. I would kindly ask them to never be in your presence again and to stay as far away from your home as possible.

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    he could be telling the truth. Type II Diabetes is near epidemic. I know a number of people who take an insulin shot in the leg. Then again, I think they usually take it in the thigh, not the lower leg. Ask him about his test kit. He may show it to you. If not, then you may have reasonable grounds to doubt.

14. +1 Check it out before casting opinions. How'd it sound? Thats the important question after this is sorted. If it IS a narcotics problem, then yes- move away. He can ONLY help himself.
    As far as the pot goes. as stated earlier, not on your property & if it creates a problem- wave goodbye also.

Communicate 1st. THEN deal with it. Good luck.

15. Dude is straight shootin' dope in your bathroom. Major disrespect,IMHO. Diabetic my ass. I would find this quite humorous if you busted 'em both within minutes of each other.

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    What reasons do you have for not believing your friend is a diabetic?

17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    You are almost 50 and have to ask such a question? :eyebrow::rollno:

18. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Not worth it in any way shape or form. Shut it down now before things get out of hand.

19. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    If the guy is diabetic he should have his bracelet or necklace stating that. If he s hitting the hard stuff hit the road you don't want or need that hassle. Additionally with a young kid around and he gets the idea that if this guy has lived to 50 doing drugs maybe it is not that bad. Drug addicts have an allure to some guys that think it is so cool, and I watched some friends go down that road as well. Had to warn a friend about another friends drug use, oh hey they were cool until they saw the damage it did to others in the band.