1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My guitarist just made me lol -- what should I do with him? :(

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SirCanealot, Sep 25, 2008.

1. So there hasn't really been much of an influx of new riffs/melodies/song ideas in my band currently, and we've only done one new song since I joined about 6-7 months ago. I'm not a song writer, but I've been trying hard on and off recently to come up with a few riffs/song lyrics and pass it on. We're all very laid back (eg, lazy :p), and the lead guitarist has asked me a few times for me to tab what I've recorded (since I'd just forward them recordings made on a cheep mic at home). The recordings aren't too bad, and you should be able to hear what notes I'm playing.

Here's an example of what I tabbed:

F-----------------
    C-----------------
    G5-5-65RR5R5--5-85
    C-7----------7----

Very bad yes (and a complete rip off of Megadeth :p), but you can get an idea for what notes I'm playing, right? I'm just trying to throw some riffs into the barrel...

I mentioned in the email that he probably wouldn't want to tune to Drop-C unless he really wanted to. The two guitars play in Drop-D, I play in D-Standard (dislike drop tunings), but I've wanted a song for a while where I drop to C (I like the key, and it'll provide a nice change and a song with some balls ;)).

So anyway, I've sent him tabs and recordings. The text I just got reads as:

"Heya. Thanks for the tab. Probably a really silly question, but how do I play it in Drop-D? Lol."

What on earth do I do with him? Maybe it'd have been a better idea to send him the notes too? Guy is a solid player and a really lovely guy with no ego problems (unlike some players), but he can be a bit of an airhead sometimes. I learnt all the parts by ear, and rarely have to ask him to show me how the part goes on guitar. Gah!

I'm going to get a guitar soon and start contributing guitar riffs directly... am I going to have even more trouble? :(

*sigh* oh well...it's all fun ;)

2. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Tell him to learn it as it is and before rehearsal and gigs you will (de-)tune his guitar :p

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Learn how to read music and then there won't be any problems with the band!

4. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    It's the guitarist that can't read or understand transposition.

I would explain to him that he needs to shift his hand two frets and play the same thing. Then laugh a lil (but just a lil, you don't want to mean).

Also you just said you hate drop tunings but you want to drop tune to drop C?

Also why is that line in drop C you could play it in standard tuning the lowest note is a G...maybe I just don't get the whole metal thing.

5. I usually tune to D-Standard... I wanted to have a few songs where I drop tune to C. I'm not using the low C in that riff, but I will do.

I think I will try explaining to him like that, except he'll have to play his higher C. We'll see what he says ;)