Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My guitarist teasing me with Aguilar AG500-112c

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tames, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Here's the synopsis:

A friend of one of the guiarists in my band purchased a brand new ag500-112c @ approx. $1700 for her friend. In a roundabout way, the amp was not given to the intended recipient and now my guitarist is basically in a position to acquire the amp.

Before I even continue, ANY party at ANY time SELLING the amp is out of the question.

On a good, or bad note, he doesn't plan on selling it, or even playing bass through it. This guy plans on getting it and "experimenting with guitar" on it. I've warned him repeatedly that not only is this a morally bad decision on his part, but using an Aguilar amp to "play around with guitar" is just an outright bad idea.

Please someone give me feedback on why he can't do this. I mean honestly the decision would be made without my choice, I just need good reason to basically make him feel bad for having this idea. This Aguilar set up is something I'M not even ready for as a bass player (with an SWR rig) and I couldn't justify seeing my guitarist who insists on overdriving his Orange AD30 and 4x12s ALL the time, run his strat through a 500 watt Aguilar amp. I'm not saying I want it instead because I know I couldn't use it how it was originally intended for our music.

Sorry I need to stop typing because at the moment of typing this, things escalated into a full blown arguement and now I must tend to that. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Only a total wanker would do something like that. Mercury will go into retrograde and the universe will be out of balance until that amp ends up in its rightful place ... your hands. Just tell him Munjibunga says, "Wise up, fool." He'll come around.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    If he's used to overdriving his his Orange amp all the time, he's going to be in for a big surprise. A SS bass amp is not designed for distortion, so he's goin to really have to max out the levels on his distortion box which is going to create square wave distortion which can damage the speaker. Just let it pan out & you will be playing thru it soon w/out even paying for it, at least for a little while. It would probably sound very good for acoustic guitar amplification.
    I've been thru the same thing sorta. A band called Attax was touring thru Houston, the singer met a girl & decided to stay which left the rest of the band in a bad situation. The bass player decided to leave & go back to Chicago. He said I'll give you my SVT 810 cab if you take me to the airport. I took him to the airport & loaded the SVT in my Porsche 924 ( it was sticking way out of the car).
    I was playing drums @ the time & right before we got the keeper bassplayer for the band, the guitarist insisted he play his Metaltronix thru it (a hot rodded Marshall). It had alot of bass but lacked any definition. He played this rig when we opened up for Steve Morse in Boulder, CO. He must have been thinking what a numb nut.
    So for mos we told him, "Dude your tone sucks". Finally Doug Pinnick told him that his tone sucked & the next rehearsal he had a 412 cab.
    I sold the SVT to the bass player & helped him buy another one as well.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I just want to let you know you'll probably be owning this thing soon. The more you back off the sooner you'll be playin thru it.

4. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    The thing is, I don't think I'd want it. No dis to anything/anyone... but that's basically like me driving a Lamborghini Murciélago to haul a trailer JUST because someone gave it to me when my big truck would do just fine. They have the same horsepower, but the Aguilar is way way way too refined and good for what I need. If it were up to me, we'd "share" the amp, sell it, and use it to fund the band. Just my two cents.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, the Aggie AG500 has a dedicated distortion channel, and the clean channel even has a very nice tube-like break up when the gain is pushed past about 6.

So, this solid state bass amp does overdrive and distortion very well.

6. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Some are two channel and some are not.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Correct. The AG500 is two channel. The AG500SC is a single channel.

I owned an AG500SC for a while, and I cranked the gain on the clean channel more than once and achieved very nice tube-like overdrive.

8. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    But we're talking picked electric guitar. To be exact, a Fender MIM standard Stratocaster. Wouldn't the speaker and horn just make it not sound good?

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The horn will make it bright and trebly probably with some hiss to boot. That can probably be bypassed too. And no, it won't have any definition for guitar.

Nothing wrong with getting it for nothing or next to it no matter how good or bad you are. I suck and I have a bass that cost more than some people's cars. So what!

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    What a strange story, it doesn't even quite add up for me - Is the amp hot?

Okay, so the amp is hot. Now, who stole it from who? Awe never mind, listen to Munji - You don't want Mercury going into retro grade do you? Tell whoever stole the amp to return to the person they stole it from.

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    guitar through a bass amp sounds fantastic. Guitar through a stolen bass amp sounds like a SINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Yeah if the amp is stolen or something then by all means get rid of it.
    I let my guitarist play his ESP Les Paul looking guitar through a super overdrive into my Peavey Firebass 700 and Avatar 212. The horn does not like the overdrive and if you dont turn it off it WILL blow very quickly. He used his Marshall head through it too which actually sounded really good.

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    For the record - In my last post, I was only trying to make a joke - I was not trying to seriously accuse the thread starter of being involved with criminal activity. I am a little curious about the background story though, I mean - Who buys a $1700 amp for a friend?

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Hey, I live in urbana. I could find a use for this thing, once the genius figures out that it won't work for guitar. I have a church gig that could use a higher quality amp. Seriously. Let me know.

15. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    I say the girl bought it for her boyfriend,who probably was a bass player and admired the combo. They broke up before she gave it to him. She then gave it to guy #2. He's not a guitar player; but she had no use for the rig and she's probably dating him now anyway.

I say it's a love thing. :)

16. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    BINGO. Kinda. Actually the amp has more sentimental value.

A while back she was asking me what "good bass amp brands" there were. So, I mentioned Aguilar, Eden, Ampeg, and that I had an SWR and loved it. She knew nothing about amps at the time... but she's loaded so money wasn't an issue. (Although she was trying to keep it under $2 grand.)

Sadly her boyfriend passed away before the amp was given to him. There's the kicker. Well, actually here's the kicker. Although I recommended the amp, she's still insisting on giving it to our guitarist? Even though it's a rather sad story, it still makes no sense.

Basically I talked to her and said there's no reason to give it to any of us in the band. I've got my bass rig and love it, and he doesn't even play bass. There's no music we'd even play that he could use the guitar tone a bass amp like that could even produce. Live OR recording.

The amp isn't stolen. I said selling it at any time is out of the question because she requested that. Also it was meant for her boyfriend, and her having it is just reminding her of him. Very sad story. Who knows what will end up happening to this thing/situation.

17. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    P.S.

Her original intention was to know someone else was using it and getting use out of it. I rejected her giving it to us because I know I, as a bassist, wouldn't use it... so that kind of money and value in an amp would never see the light of day if a guitarist was cranking through it.