1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My guitarist uses a 75 watt Line6 amp... What kind should I use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OriginalName, Feb 19, 2005.

1. I play in a little band with some kids I know, and I have a really tiny practice amp. It isn't really audible when we practice, and I need a new amp REALLY badly.

He uses a 75 watt Line6 amp, usually using distortion. His amp seems to fit well with the drums, and my question is, what kind of amp, and how many watts should I use? I want it to be audible, but not TOO loud.

Name the price, also.

Thank you.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey there

this thread is also linked to the sticky at the top of the page that deals with FAQ about amps.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    get an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and 8x10 and blow that SOB out of the water

4. I don't want to do that. :rollno:

I want it to actually sound right

5. Ha, good answer. :D

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well, a little more info could really help us to steer you in the right direction. What kind of music do you play? What is your budget? and Do you think that this is somthing you'll be using for a long time?

7. We play classic rock and traditional/heavy metal. My budget is up to $200. And, yes, I would want to use it for a long time.

8. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My suggestion is go to your nearest music store and find some amps you like. Also get the loudest most powerful amp you can afford and you feal you can lug to practices for two reasons. 1, because you may not think you need to be that loud now but if your guitarists ever upgrade you're going to need that power and 2, because you don't need to crack the amp. It's better to have a loud amp with the volume down than a quiet amp with the volume cranked.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Very well said. You might need more power in the future if you ever get to playing shows and stuff like that.

I suggest you bide your time and let your money grow... beacuse $200 is a VERY tight budget. For a small rig, you'd probably want at least $400 or so... or you could look into a powerful combo.

If you think there's the possibility that your going to really need some major power down the road, you might wanna save up even more.

10. Yeah, that makes sense.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, $200 is a VERY limited budget when it comes to bass amps. save your $$ and think used. we getthe short end of the stick amp wise. a guitar player can use a 25 or 50 watt 1x12 combo his or her whole life. we generally need 4 - 10x the power of the guitar player to acheive similar volume, closer to the 10x amount if the style of music is on the loud side. skeptical? my guitar player uses a 40 watt fender vibroverb all tube amp with a 15" speaker. i use a 12" cab and a 15" cab with a total of 800 watts and we are the same volume.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could probably get by with 600 watts and a 410 cab, but 800 watts would be better.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I belive the SVT comes equipped with a volume knob.

For only $200 you are really going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel. The only thing I can think of in that price range would be a used combo from a lower end manufacturer like Peavey. That might prove adequate for you. I used a TNT115 for a number of years as my main amp in several different acts. Its not the loudest thing on the planet but it did what I wanted quite well. I think they run around $350 new now.

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well...check these out.

Link 1 Small combo

Link 2 Head

Link 3 Cab

If you need something right away these might help you out but if you can...take the advice already offered and save up some more cash and get a decent used rig (350-500w and at least a 115 cab)

:)

Joe.

15. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Buy the most watts you can afford. You don't have to use them all. Down the road you never know when you are going to need them. And you don't want to get caught with your pants down (or your watts). ;)

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's a noble sentiment...but don't get too carried away.

Rule of thumb (and like all this stuff, it's only an estimate) is that you need three times what the guitarist is using, maybe a little less if he's running solid state.

Almost anything in the 250-300W +/- range should do fine.

"Price" is meaningless; it's all about how hard you shop and how hard you bargain for used gear. I'm a real predator at this, so I know you can get really good pro gear for almost nothing if you keep your eyes open, turn over a lot of rocks and make your move without dithering. Shopping hard doubles your budget.

Napoleon said that quantity has a quality all its own. Same with a deal. I may like amp A marginally better than amp B, but when I see a loss-leader sale at Guitar Center with amp B at 75% off, which one do you think looks the best then? I've shopped hard and all my bass gear is good working-pro quality, and I got it all new for substantially less than the same stuff goes for used.

As far as "what amp," IMO, a lot of people here - perhaps a majority - are obsessed with stuff that doesn't matter or may even be entirely imaginary, and I'd bet that they couldn't pass a blindfold test on most of the stuff they fight about all the time. If you find a good basic, conservative rig that isn't too weird or too cheaply made, you can tweak your setup until you find a good, useful sound for your application.

17. actually, man. you dont really need that many watt... it all depends on how load you play. Both of my guiatarists use 100 watt marshall combo. And I do fine with a fender bassman 100, so I think with 100-200 watts u should do fine.

Good luck on what u looking for,

Joe

18. Yeah, I will most likely buy used.

19. That entire post was helpful, thank you.

I'm going to go to Guitar Center later and try out a few amps, and I'll see what sounds good.

20. Good idea. And remember, tweek the amp around lots until you get the best sound it has to offer. I am quite certain any given amp won't be set the way you want it, even if you decide to buy it after a while.

Davis Goertzen