Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My guitarists are killing me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Nov 16, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well whats new it seems eveyrone here is looking for new rigs. Anyways the two guitarists in my band are both upgrading to marshal half stacks and the likes of me being able to be heard are getting slimmer by the day. We had practice a week ago one of em was useing a 35 watt kustom combo the other one was useing a 140 watt 2x12 crate combo and i had the pre gain on 7 and my master volume on 7 and my pv tnt was clipping. Now i know peaveys are solid as a rock i just dont feel comfortable knowing my amp is clipping, anyways i think i'm going to need around 500-800watts here for the type of music we play (metallica,pantera,ozzy,gnr ect) I'm all for having a super rig but thats if my funds can cover everything so i narrowed it down to a few affordable yet powerful rigs.

Peavey max700 with avatar 410neo and a 212
    Gk 1001 rbi-II with a neo 4x12
    QSC RMX 1450 sansamp RBI bag end 410 (the 410 that dosn't have the red speaker ie the cheaper one)
    Hartke HA 5000 avatar 4x10 pro
    Schroder 410 qsc rmx 1450 bbe bmax

Personally i think the best quality rig would be a close tie between the bag end rig and the schroder. But then again i think they are the priceiest out of the bunch.

What can you guys tell me to do next besides save up $$ anything i need to re think or try out?

Thanks

-Rob

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What is the price range we are dealing with? I think of metal bass and I think of Ampeg. I would look at some of that. What kinda sound do you like or want?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Gk will punch right through, I would highly reccomend it. What setup are you running for cabs?

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Price range is between 1000-2500$

We mainly do covers as of right now but we are slowly but surely righting our own stuff and coming up with cool riffs as we go along.

One reason i didn't mention ampeg is because i think they are over priced. I mean why bother with a 8x10 monster when i could get an avatar 410 thats the same amount of watts and costs half of what the 8x10 costs.

I do however like ampegs svt4pro bass head that thing can kick some serious butt but it's a little over one grand and im not really into the whole tube thing.
    I did although mention tech 21's sansamp RBI dosnt that have a built in tube pre amp to give me some nice rock n roll sound that im looking for.

I also think going to pre/power route would be alot more effecint if i needed more volume for an out door gig or if i wanted a different pre amp.

And i've looked at everything from EA,Bergintino,acme,aguliar,ebs,swr,ashdown, and i think im preatty stuck on either a schroder 410 or a bag end 410 with a qsc rmx 1450 and proboly a tech 21 sansamp RBI.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you might like a couple of bag end 15's better than the 410 but both are cool

i love when guitar players use 100 watt tube amps in clubs. I think the pres of groove tubes said it best when he said when he sees a guy using a hundred watt guitar head in a club he's looking at a guy who doesnt know how to use a tube amp. By the time he turns up to where the amp starts working for him, it will be too loud for all but the biggest rooms. If he keeps the volume at a reasonable level, the amplifier will have no tone. :rolleyes:

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I would go with the GK setup if you are not diggin tubes. I would go for a used 2000RB. That thing smokes. I reiterate the 2000RB not the 2001RB. I had both and the 2000RB smoked the 2001 just for the fact that it made less noise(hiss). The overdrive/distortion channel on the 2001 was useless to my ears. You are better off getting an overdrive/distortion pedal.

Get a nice 410 cabinet or better yet a 210/215 setup and your set.

You can probably spend $1200 on this rig and you'll be happy.

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I thought about that but bag ends 1x15 bass cabs are only 200 watts. I'd be afraid id push em to hard and they would clip.

As for the Gk rig i had read that the 2001 RBI-II was kinda iffy or soemthing awhile ago thats why i had posted about the 1001. I did read a review on musiciansfriend that the 400 RBI and the 700RBI both kick some serious booty, so i can only imagine what the 1001 can do let alone the 2000.

But i would still like to give that schroder a try. I had read that big thread about schroder cabs and that they are mind numbing loud and that is why i think a shroder 410 would be good in my situation.

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've never really thought about a 2x15 and a 2x10 rig. I do want this to be fairly portable, and most 2x15 cabs weigh a good 100-125 pounds are about 30-35 inches tall.

But im sure i can muster up enough strength to haul em around.

The only 2x15 cabs i've seen that have interested me any was an eden 2x15 and a bergintino i think.

I also read that eden isn 't to metal sounding either.

Anyone else have any info?

Thanks for all the help so far

:bassist:

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I can get metal as all getty up with my Eden WT800/215xlt/210xlt set up.

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I dont really have a problem with eden's bass cabs, it's their heads that are so darn expensive but i suppose you pay for great quality.

I'm still pondering ideas of other rigs still.

11. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    My first rig (actually my last rig) was an Eden 115 and a GK head. It kept up with those Marshall JCM 1/2 stacks quite well. When I got my Aguilar 410 and used the 2 cabs together.... whew. For a while I was running the 2 through an RMX 1450. If i were to recommend something, it'd be to get either an Eden 115T and a 410 XLT, or an Aguilar 15 and 410, or 2 410s. Then pick up a used RMX1450 and maybe go w/o a preamp temporarily. If the preamp on your bass is good enough, you shouldn't need one IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

12. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Howbout a bergantino ht322 with a preamp/power amp of choice?

13. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    ooh. take back everything I said.

+1 for this :D

14. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

What aggie 4x10 are you talking about, i just checked on musiciansfriend and they have 2 different ones. If you could specify that would be great thanks.

BTW Over all the rave of schroder cabs im surprised no one has mentioned one to me yet.....?

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If your TNT is clipping at 7 and 7, you may have serious EQ issues, bro :p

I run mine gain at 10, volume at 11, and im fine...

are you boosting the lows crazily?

16. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    GS. I haven't played through the S series cabs yet. I was thinking about taking a road trip this weekend and checking a few out, since I'm looking for a second cab right now.

I will say this about Aguilar though: I am NEVER going to not have an aguilar setup. If I am ever tempted to get something else, I'm keeping the aguilar. They have awesome customer support and are just an awesome company to do business with. If you just wanted to get one cab and one head, I'd recommend a GS410 and a DB359 (used). That's what I'm using (as of tomorrow--my DB359 should arrive). You can find great deals on used aguilar heads here on TB. Well, at least for the 359's.

17. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I do boost my lows up a few notches but it dosnt really do anything to help me in my situation. We played seek and destroy for our warm up when we had practice and i was muffled out so bad. I dont know really what else to do i doubt getting an extension cab would do much so thats why im going for an all new rig.

18. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    just wondering... what kind of Marshall heads is your band using?

If you decide not go go with any Aguilar stuff ( :eek: :crying: ), my next recommendation would actually be the Gallien-Krueger setup. I think their heads are awesome for the $$$$.

19. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    They're both using that 350 watt mode four head with the silver face plat. They run 1100$ or around there.

20. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You know, I've heard of people using those for bass......

From what one of the local music store owners told me, the cab is actually tuned the same as many bass amps.

Just tossing out yet another crazy idea.......