Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my hand at making a jazz/swing ditty.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    erm.. I recorded a jazz song today.
    I had some prerecorded Midi' loops.
    I put some drums to it and came out with a 1 minute and 27 second number i call "Mailbox just loves it." Inspired by Jay and Silent Bob. =D

Am I serious about the music?? yes..
    Am I a jazz musician?? I like to dabble in it. :D

I know its probably not that great by any jazz means, but I used my new acoustics, and my brushes; and I had alot of fun recording it. I have a rock size kit tuned like a jazz kit.
    Its not much, but im just getting started.
    Give me some criticism if you can. Im open to it. ;) Just dont be mean and hurt my feelings.
    :(
    Cause ill be a sad panda.

Thanks yall

ahh sorry i forgot to put the link..

my bad..homies

...Mailbox loves it

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    how can we criticize you... IF WE CANNOT HEAR THE SONG?

Bah... It's probably alright.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    IT is ok...add more bass tough...I can't hear it. :D :p

4. I think that's really good!
    IMO, it's pretty 'jazzy' but I am a jazz newbie ;)

I like it. :)

I guess its pretty simple and looped a lot, but its cool. I am being honest. :)

As i listen to it more, very repetitive. keep at it :)

5. It's pretty good for a jazz newb. All i can really say to improve upon is at some points you kinda cut out and go off beat but then you jump back in. If you want to hear some great Jazz drumming listen to a song named "Lester Leeps In". Its done by many groups but The best version IMO is By the 'Ray Brown Trio' on the CD "Live at Starbucks". Lots of great drum solos in it. Check it out. Enjoy :D

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    sounds good....bass sounds a lot like midi..but thats a good thing. Good Job!. Just need some scatting on there and bang, there comes the millions.

7. Buddy Rich is a good guy to listen to for drumming inspiration... my mate Patrick got me onto jazz and his big hero's Rich - if you had Buddy and Patrick play the same tune, side by side, you'd get exactly the same style of playing. Freaky, but what a groove.

BTW, I love the song. You said you did it yourself. Got it written down? Wouldn't mind doing that one, one day..... :D
    Good song. Keep it up.

8. Thats because the bass is a MIDI ;)

9. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

yeah.. i got lazy.. ;)

Well mainly because I dont have a Bass Sutible for Jazz music..I have a P bass clone that basicly has the clunkiest tone ever..
    The tone knob doesn't do much but the mids and the highs.. no lows =(
    I cant play piano either soo...

10. Its all good. Marcus Miller usually uses a drum machine in his songs. MIDI is just alright with me.

11. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    woopsey...yeah ...well the drumming is neat. I read midi loops and I was thinking midi drum loops. Good job tough.

Yeah I knew the bass sounded like midi..hehe. Nice work tough.