Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Handmade P-Style Bass (2nd post)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodboy, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The first photos didn't work with my post so I'll try again. I am a professional luthier who is known for my classical guitars. I play bass and sing in a r&b group for fun so I thought it would be interesting to make my own bass. The specs are: Flamed mahogany over chambered alder body, Honduras rosewood fingerboard, Aero P-Style pickup, single passive treble roll-off circuit, ABM "finger" bridges, French polished with seedlac (raw shellac) varnish, weight with TI Flats is 7lbs. 7oz.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks really nice. Is it just me or is there more room between the G string and the edge of the neck than normal?

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Very nice bass! Why no volume knob?

4. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The shadow makes the neck look a little weird. It is the standard 2 1/4" bridge spacing and 2 1/2" neck width at the 20th fret. I didn't put a volume control on it because I never use one. I set the volume at the amp and adjust my playing to suit the song. I also find I can get a J style sound by playing back by the bridge and the massive P sound by playing over the pickup or the last fret.

5. Very nice. Modern, exotic twist on a design that's left its mark. I'd really like to see the whole bass (headstock included).

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Very nice.
    Ouch I'am getting GAS!

7. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    very cool. congrats on your obvious talents as a bass maker. looks real good

8. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks, everybody, for your kind words. As requested, here's a close-up of the headstock. The jpg looks a little squiggly. Some aspect of digital photography that eludes me. :confused:

9. Mmm... Exotic P-bass with Tele-inspired headstock... Yummy! Beaucoup de classe! :cool:

10. the headstock says "yamaha" to me. i like the flamed mahogany.

robb.

11. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Ouch. Yamaha, huh? Actually, there are only so many ways you can create a curve on the headstock. No matter what you do, no doubt something like it has already been done before.