1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My hands are freezzing cold on stage- it's causing problems.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Oct 4, 2008.

1. This is probably the strangest post I've ever posted on here...

Anyway, with the cold weather coming in an issue seems to have come up. The cold weather seems to be affecting my fingers to the point where if the temperature is too cold, the ends of my fingers become REALLY painful to the point where they feel like they're being cut off.

But the resulting problem is that I'm finding it difficult to play. It's made worse by the fact I'm curently playing in a big (and so cold) hall.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do? I need to play...

2. What's the deliberate infliction of injury upon others to gain attention have to do with anything?

Seriously, I can't feel my hands right now...

3. Wear gloves before you play

4. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    What about some of those gloves they wear in every movie set in post-modern times? The ones with the finger tips all cut off. I'm telling you - check it out. just about every one of those movies everybody wears them!

You could also make some yourself - get a cheapo pair of wool gloves from the hardware store, take some scisors to them.

Good luck!

I had finger freeze on my first gig I ever played. We were outside and it was pretty damned cold out. Private party.. the other end of the tent we were in was heated, but our end wasn't. oh well. good gig anyway. Rub the hands together between songs to loosen them u.p. heh

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've played too many outdoor gigs for comfort, including times when the temperature hovered around 40 degrees or so. My rehearsal studio also never ever seems to warm up.

I've done tons of tricks to try and warm up my hands (fingerless gloves, sticking my hands in pockets before songs, hand warmers, sticking handwarmers in gloves, etc)

I used to use motorcycle gloves for awhile (black leather skintight gloves) which worked pretty well since I play flatwounds. However the tips of the gloves started to distort overtime and I need a more permanent solution.

When I'm in my rehearsal space we've got 3 plug in radiators and I just stick my hands on one of them till I'm warm.

When I play live I've got a giant heat lamp to keep me warm. :)

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I played some outdoor gigs at night that were really uncomfortable. And when the temp dropped enough, my hand would really tighten up.

Rather than focus on warming up the hands - which only *lasts* for a few seconds in the cold - I always focused on just continually trying to stretch the hand and fingers in between songs and sets.

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Have a bottle of hard liquor nearby to keep you warm. :p

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
  10. Your hands being cold is a sign that your body is cold. Put on another sweater and it will warm up your hands. When your hands get cold, it means that you vital organs are cold so you body pulls blood into your core, resulting in your hands and feet being cold.

Also, this is far from being the strangest thread you have posted.

lowsound

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes, do whatever you need to warm your entire body and your fingers will warm up too.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
  13. kangia

kangia

Aug 10, 2008
    Play faster! hah!
    It's also about circulation....some alcohol help, yes, but move your fingers before you play. I'm spinning the coins in the pockets. And wear a gloves without fingers...

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If your hands are also cold most of the time, even when not outside, could be a medical (thyroid) problem. Check with your doc for some workups to make sure.

15. "Munchausen syndrome is a psychiatric disorder in which those affected fake disease, illness, or psychological trauma in order to draw attention or sympathy to themselves."

16. What's that got to do with anything?!

Seriously, my hands are so cold it's painful.

17. Looks like time for a visit to your bass player.

I mean doctor.

If it's as bad as you are leading us to believe (painwise) you may have a serious circulation or possibly nerve problem.

When I had a pinched nerve between my C6 and C7, I had some major hand pain (right hand) it did feel really cold at times...other times felt like it was asleep, and increased over time to feeling like the hand was being electrocuted.

Pinched nerves can give you wierd sensations in your hands and feet.

You mentioned "cold, pain, and numbness", maybe bass players aren't the best people to consult. Try bassoon players, they know all about they kinda stuff.:rolleyes:

18. try gloves with that leave fingers exposed. like this guy:

Tetsuo Sakurai for anyone who wants to know.

19. Um....you do have quite a nice list of strange ones, but this is near the bottom of that list.

20. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Our house gig is outdoors. Even in Houston, that does mean playing in 35 degree weather sometimes. I "borrowed" some fingertipless gloves from my son and never returned them(bought him a new pair). The ones I use are NOT leather as I found leather sticks to the neck of my basses. Gloves like these:
    FingerlessGlvs_SFL.

As seen here(Houston CBD, 7am 42 degrees with a 15 mph wind):
    ColdGlovesOCT2007.

For this sort of gig, also wear multi-layers of clothes(I had on thermal underwear and 3 shirts) AND a jacket with pockets large enough to allow you to put hands in like the hand warmer device above.

PS: These gloves also work great for warming up faster when you are in a chilly, air-conditioned room.

JC