My hands are tied

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dragen, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm just recovering from tendonities (did I spell that right?). For almost three months now. The doctor says I must take it really easy for two more months. That is five months wsated of my life, since I'm not able to play bass. I don't learn anything by not playing. I have read a lot of books on bass and general music theory, so that the time wouldn't be all wasted, but I feel that it sin't enough. I must learn more. Can anyone give me hints on how to work on my skills without playing bass?
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Got any other instrument? To train ear, and just to make music. Otherwise, how about singing?
    Just make music, to stay sane;)
  3. Singing is a very good idea. Just standing infront of the stereo and singing to a cd. I do this alot, especially recently after my car accident. I have whiplash and i wasn't allowed to play bass for a while (although i occasionally did :p).

It feels weird stadnig in ones room (no-one around), stereo cranking, standing there singing along to it. After awhile that goes away and i focus on hitting the notes. hey it passes the time.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Work on your sightreading and music theory!
    Somebody here posted that swimming helped a lot in his recovery.

Hope you get better soon! :)
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Singing is probably the best way to go. You can enhance your learning experience by trying to sight sing music. Church hymns, regardless of how you feel about the material, are usually arranged in ways that fit the average person's singing and are not very challenging rhythmically. Also, as you have bass, tenor, alto and soprano, you can see how the voices are arranged.

Will C.:cool:
  6. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    Thanks for the hints. They indicate that I'm doing something right, because I always sing along with songs (at least when I'm alone) and I have read a couple of books on music theory. A surprise to me was my newfound interest in music theory. It's incredibly interesting and helpful to know some instead of nothing. Especially chord theory. I find that the theory helps me to communicate with with other musicians in a way that I could not before. Before my tendinitis, I could not grasp at all what my two guitarists were talking about. Now it's different. I'm not saying that I'm an expert, but immensely better than before. I have been building my self up by playing the bass in small doses. What I discovered then was a better understanding of how to play the bass. I'm five times the bassplayer now compared to pre-tendinitis. I really sucked back then!!! (I probably still suck, but know.......)