My hands around your neck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Shellac, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    Not sure if this belongs in Basses or Misc, but. I'm curious, are my hands supposed to fit around the neck of a 5 or 6 string bass at it's widest point? I have average hands not big, so will this stumble my ability to play the wider necked variants or am I just mislead?

I mean, I have to put more effort into playing closer to the body, way more than I would at the 1st fret, 12th fret and such. Is this normal? I literally have to readjust my palm from the standard position to reach alot of frets closer to the body.

Do you all just have gigantic hands that can fit around an 8 string neck?

I'm still growing, but I'd like to know. Thanks. =)
  2. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Well i'v got a BTB405, and my hands are small, i bearly can use the use of my pinky finger on the fingerboard, but i just learn to play around it and keep doing my finger excersices, maybe someday i'll be able to use it. But yea down toward the body of the BTB, i hafta rea-djust my palm also. I figure why worrie about your hands not being as gigantic as other bass players, find your own way of playing, thats confortable, then do it that way.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, a lot of extended range player (6s and such) use the higher stringns for soloing, chordal work, and other such plinking. Very rare is it that they go down to the 23rd fret on their E and B strings. It's not that you're "not supposed to" it's just that most don't.
  4. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Howdy, I have average-sized hands, at best, and I play 6 strings. I also prefer flat, wide necks, so the reach is that much more. It can be done. It just takes time and practice, or vice-versa;)

Have you ever heard of Steve Bailey? The fretless virtuoso? He plays 6 stringers and the guy is only 5' tall! His hands are smaller than mine. If you've heard him play you would know it can be done.

I guess what I'm sayin' is don't let something like this limit what you want to do with your Bass. :cool:
  5. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Ever heard of John Myung? His fingers has got to be two meters at least!

anyway, God has blessed me with kinda long fingers so I can play everything from four to my current GAS, a seven-stringer
  6. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It's really all about technique, and not how big your hands are. Sure, it might help to have long fingers, but most basses have neck dimensions that can be played by almost anyone. Proper thumb-position _behind_ the neck is a key element.
  7. Ever heard of John Myung? His fingers has got to be two meters at least!

Yeah, I saw a clip of him playing his sig. Yamaha 6, and his hands has PLENTY of length to play larger necks.
  8. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    Thanks all, for your comments...very motivating. =)
  9. Ah yes, but his bass also has a narrower-than-normal string spacing. :D

:bassist: :D :D
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i play only 7 and 8 string basses, and my hands are not overly large.

it's much more an issue of proper technique than it is hand size.

this is more appropriate for miscellaneous, so away it goes. :)