Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My hands get too cold!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thedarksession, Mar 11, 2005.

1. I usually play pick style, but if my right hand is warm enough then I'll only play fingerstlye and I can play way faster with my fingers. My problem is my hand always gets too cold and then I can't use it!!!! anyone have this same problem a lot? any exercises or warm up techniques I can do? :scowl:

2. why are tyour hands cold, are you standing outside before you play? put them over a heater of something, practice scales to warm up the ringers

3. Have you ever tried one of those wrist warmer sweat band things? They help my hands stay a bit warmer for sure. Just probably keeps the inflowing blood warmer.. or keeps your wrist warmer and that creeps into your hand or something.

But yeah maybe try that. A lot of people wear those while playing. Likely for sweat purposes more often though. I got mine to wipe sweat off my fingers onto it, but it also keeps me a bit warmer.

4. No, my hands are just naturally cold all the time and it's annoying.

The wrist band thing sounds like a good idea. Actually, I don't think I've ever worn one of those in my life.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Bad circulation most likely then :smug:. I used to wear wrist bands when playing, but noticed my basses started getting little swirl marks, and I didn't like that :p. Try it though, see if it helps... if not... there's places you can put your hands to warm them up ;).

Ray

6. I always have cold hands, at least that's what my girlfriend says,... To warm them up so that I can actually function as a bass player I play walking basslines for 10 minutes and I'm fine... Does the trick just like SPAM in a can, if I say so myself,... Sorry,... bad humor+lack of sleep=dumb jokes... sorry again...

7. I run my hands under hot water for a few seconds if I can get to hot water. Otherwise I just have to play until my fingers warm up.

8. muppetprince

muppetprince

Dec 24, 2004
    England
    I too have problems with cold hands and finally went to my GP who said I had Raynaud's - basically reduced blood flow in the hands, and I now take precautions to avoid getting cold hands and it doesn't affect my playing or everyday activities.

If your hands are cold all the time it would be worthwhile going to your GP as Raynaud's can be a symptom of other more serious problems, a google search will provide some good information. Hope this helps!

9. wow, thanks guys.

10. daTHChronic

daTHChronic

Nov 12, 2004
    Tampa, Fl.
    Maybe you need to be getting more protein in your system.

11. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    when i've been out and it's cold then i cant play bass if i dont take a bath...

12. Thats what girlfriends are for. They're really good at warming up fingers and other apendages.. :oops:

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well i only get this problem if we are going to a gig and have to set up and its really cold out side! But i always have on those cloves that you can pop thing finger tips off or on. Then i go into a warm room and do about 20 or so push-ups! That generally does the trick for me! Also if we have to wait to go on stage i will either find a warm room to chill in or go sit in my car and crank the heat up! But yeah it only takes my hands like 3 min to warm up while playing! But alot of bad things can happen in 3 min on stage! You can also try to play a extra bass youre keep youre stage bass on before you go out and just jam out a few things before going on! I bought one of those korg bass pandoras for this reason!

14. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah i have that problem, my hands are naturally cold aswell and its really hard to play fast when ur at a gig and you no your hands are cold, if u jump about that warms you up, but it is really annoying, and when your hands actuaklly do get warmed up it feels much smoother and easier so i wish i had warm hands all the time lol

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Stop smoking, and buy a fuzzy and warm steering wheel cover.

16. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    If you smoke, you will have circulaion problems, thus causing your hands to be cold. I used to play in a room that was 50 degrees or colder in my old studio during the winter. THAT was like playing bass with frozen hotdogs for picks. I try to keep my fingers loose all the time by a series of stretches in the hands as well as the forearms. :bassist:

17. Ive had that problem for years and tried many different things. Warmers and hot water work fine but if the temp outside is cold, you hands are gonna take a while to warm up. The best thing for it is to play lighter. Once you get used to playing lighter, your hands dont need that much blood or warmth to play fast or comfortably. I used to have to warm up for almost an hour and a half just to get my hands to wear there comfortable. Now that i play lighter, i can be "warmed up" in about 10 min. Try it out, it works like a charm

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I remember a time when we played a gig in this really cold hall, and i had to do some fast bass stuff, it bloody ached! my hands were stiff and cold! and they wouldnt move fast enough, that was annoying, but usually the gigs i play at the rooms really hot and stuff, so its fine. just keep your hands in your jumper sleeves or pockets before a show, that might do the trick