My hands hurt! Is there a better bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by khayes1995, Sep 22, 2003.

1. khayes1995

Jan 25, 2001
    I'm looking for the perfect ergonomic bass for finger style playing. I'm finding as I get older I'm getting arthritic pains in both my hands after some gigs. I sometimes play a old short scale Fender Bronco which helps with the pain (softer strings, shorter reach), but I need the tone of a long scale. Can anyone recommend something to save this old man?:bawl:
  2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Hi old man! :p

My suggestion is to go to as many music stores as possible and play as many basses as possible. Your bound to find one to suit your needs. The best way to find out is to play them for yourself. After all, your the one who has to play it!
  3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Find a bass with a thin neck that can tolerate a low action (or get a fretless), and get some low-tension strings such as Thomastik-Infeld.

Also look at adjusting the position of your bass (maybe higher) to make it easier to play.

Learn to play with a very light touch.

4. Warrior basses have incredibly low action that is still buzz free and great sounding, and the neck is very ergonomically comfortable..

my buddy at the local music store has a 32'' scale Carl Thompson, I honestly didn't even know it at first, it had bouncy strings, and sounded pretty damned full...

but I don't think those are budget friendly..then again I don't know your budget
  5. Several of the better 4-string necks I've played were on older Tobias basses - thin through, not too wide and very easy on the hands, mostly due to the asymmetrical profile. The early Gnashville Classic and Basic models have no collector value but can actually be fine basses (and sound great too).

But there's good advice above this post: play everything that you can get your hands on.
  6. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Give a Kubicki ExFactor a try.

Here's "tweety":
  7. you should look at some peavey cirrus basses. I have found them to be some of the most confortable basses to play.
  8. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Yes, for a 35" scale bass... However I think khanes1995 would find a shorter scale more comfortable. How about a Ric?

- Frank.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pedulla ThunderBolt with the narrow spacing.
  10. its all about playing harmonics...not much effort at all :D
  11. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    You can't go wrong in terms of a small neck with an Ibanez Soundgear.

I've ever played one, but MTD basses are supposed to have some of the most comfortable factory-made necks out there. Try a Kingston or Heir.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Aside from all the advice here, ever think of taking glucosamine and chondritin? It's supposed to really help with that from what I hear/read.
  13. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Perhaps exercises prior to playing could help. Opening and closing your hands, and scales at a slow pace come to mind.
    While I can't say I suffer from arthritis, a few exercizes pretty much alleviate any pain I get from playing "cold".
  14. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I always do this before I play -- it seems to reduce fatigue for me.

sorry to hear your hands are hurting you khayes1995 -- hope you can rectify the problem soon.

edit: i also gently stretch my fingers by pushing each of them back (ie, the finger nail would go in the direction of the top of my hand) until i feel a slight stretch.
  15. There's some good advice already.

I'd say always do a good warm-up. And try to play with a soft hand and let your amp do the work for you! :D

I have also found that changing techniques helps, alternate between fingerstyle, slapping and using a pick. It prevents too many repetitive motion of your hands.

Good luck, I hope it helps!