Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Hanewinckel semi-hollow six-string with nylon strings and Piezos!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Hey all,
    I've been really sick for much of the past month and haven't been around TB much. I got my new Hanewinckel ( http://www.hguitars.com ) about 4 weeks ago. Here's the pic again:

[​IMG]

It's a 6-string semi-hollowbody with a Mahogany body, Quilted Maple top, Mahogany 7-piece neck with Wenge and Maple laminates ( if I remember correctly ). It has RMC Piezos in the bridge with Bartolini electronics for the audio out and an RMC Polydrive MIDI output.

It plays great. Truly a work of art. The Thomastik-Infeld Acousticore strings are very interesting. A very different sound and field compared to steel core strings. I really like them a lot. For a more in-depth review of thost strings from someone else, here's a link: http://www.bgra.net/reviews/thomastik-infeld-aco-1-rvw.html . I don't necessarily agree with everything he says but that's just a matter of opinion.

I'll post more pics and a more in-depth review another time. I'm about to watch a movie with a friend. I thought I'd have more time to write this.

Here's an audio clip of me noodling around with it on the day I got it. Recorded on my PC through an Eden Navigator pre-amp.

http://www.unpronounceable.com/solobass/audio/improv-2003-02-13-2345.mp3

It's like 6.5 megs and about 7 minutes long. Nothing special. Just me messing around with different playing techniques. Pure Piezo. No magnetic pickups on this bass.

- Dave

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yummy!:) Glad your feelin better Dave!

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Congrats! Very nice, Dave. Hope you are feeling better, too.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hey Dave,

I can't stop listenning to the sound clip!!

That's really cool...
    I'm currently working on an hollowbody bass that will have only piezos and this is the kind of sound I want to achieve!
    I was thinking of black nylon strings but...the one you use are sounding really good... I have to check them out for sure..

Fell free to post more of your awesome playing ! :D

JP

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hi Dave, hope you're feeling better. Sounds great! Like a big, Baaaaad classical guitar almost!

:D

6. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    That was exactly my feeling when I listened!!! Man, you have no idea how much i love this tone! I'm very pleased, because I thought this sound was impossible to be achieved from a bass!!:bassist: :D

7. Dave

Glad to see your up and around again!

That beauty has an almost hypnotic sound which is currently playing continiously on my p.c.

Great looks and sounds. It might only be messing around for you, but I like it.

I can see a c.d. coming out soon ;)

Peace

Matthew

8. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    baaaaaaaad sound :D

love it.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sorry to hear you've been sick, Dave.

The bass looks and sounds beautiful. Nice sample/cool improv, too. I'm totally sold on Pete's basses. I seen another in my future, maybe even soon! :cool:

10. Thanks everybody. I'm still sick if you can believe it. I started out with bronchitis like 4 weeks ago, took some antibiotics and it seemed to go away but then I got sick again and had to deal with a whole lotta bs with my "doctor" trying to get it taken care of. It was only yesterday that I was prescribed more antibiotics since now it appears I may have an ear infection in addition to my cough and fever.

I haven't been playing much bass in the past 4 weeks. I'm hoping to get back to it soon though. I'm just burnt. I have more audio clips like that one on my other basses. If you guys want me to post them, let me know.

Thanks again,

Dave

11. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Post 'em, man! I love that clip above, so I'm sure I'll like the others too... everyone else probably will, too. :D :bassist:

12. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I hope you feel better soon man, but if that disease is whats causing you to put out such a smooth groove you should hold onto it as long as you can! Sounds excellent, I love it! Georgeous too.

13. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    wow, that sounds great. looks awfully pretty too. you should deffinetly post more clips!

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    It ain't workin for me:bawl:

15. Jean-Philippe expressed some interest in hearing my Piezo's flat without any EQ. The previous clip I posted had the Bartolini electronics flat but the Eden Navigator had some Enhance and minor EQ changes. This clip is totally flat with no Enhance. This is just another noodling clip.

This one's about 7.4 megs and 8 minutes long.

http://www.unpronounceable.com/solobass/audio/improv-2003-04-05-2213.mp3

- Dave

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks a lot for recording anew clip Dave! Sounds good to me...
    This one will go with the first clip in my favorite MP3s folder
    ;)

Peace, Jean-Philippe (AKA JP :D )

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Rock and Roll! :) Nice clip. Feeling any better, Dave?

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I dig the new clip, too. The bass has warmth and clarity. Sweet!

19. Thanks again guys. I'm pretty much over whatever I had last month. I still have to get screened for asthma though. I don't get attacks but I do have some of the symptoms and people keep telling me to check on it.

I haven't been playing much bass lately, unfortunately. I have a friend staying at my place and that's been throwing off my whole routine.

I did do some playing a few nights ago for a Rock Lotto. That's where someone gets 20 or so musicians to agree to be randomly split into 5 bands and spend a day to write four songs to perform later that night. Of course, being a weekday, most people wrote the songs on previous days. It was pretty fun. Some of the bands were really good. We had two songs that were kinda good and two others that were hastily put together.

I'm still trying to get the hang of that new bass in terms of how to get the most out of those strings. I haven't played it much since the previous clip was recorded. Except to try out the MIDI when I finally got a MIDI synth for it. It's pretty cool. The latency bugs me though. It requires a very consistant and accurate playing style to get it to sound decent.

Those strings are very sensitive to how they are plucked. I haven't even begun to discover all of the cool sounds I can get from them. Slap sounds great with them but I need to refine my technique to do it with a lighter touch so I don't break the strings. That's what I was trying to do with that clip. It's not as easy as you'd think. There's something about slap technique that invites playing really hard.

- Dave

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Feel better, Dave. Nice Hannie.