My Hartke 5000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teprodic, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Hello everyone. Well today I was jamming out with some of my friends. I was using my Hartke 5000 with my Ampeg svt 8x10. Well while I was tuning my bass, I kept on strumming the string in order for the tuner to read it, but nothing happened. So then I looked at the back and noticed the tuner wasn't connect to the amp. So my dumba$$ decided to get the instrument cable and connect it from the tuner to the amp while the Hartke was still running. So in other words I forgot to turn the amp off before this. Well when I connected the tuner to the amp it made this big pop sound on the cabinet and I saw like a little flash of light on the back of the Hartke. So I immideately turned everything on my rack off. Waited a minute and turned it back on. I started playing and all I heard was nasty sounding distortion coming out of the cabinet. So since I was at my rehearsal studio, I decided to connect my amp to my friends 8 10 and the same thing was happening. So I got his amp and connected it to my ampeg just to make sure if it was the cab that was the problem. So it turned out that my cab was ok after all. It was sounding good and all. But my Hartke would turn on and it would provide a sound but it sounded like garbage. What's the problem? Is it a burned fuse? This amp contains two fuses and well I don't know much about them but one seemed ok. I'm kind of confused though becuase if it was the fuse wouldn't the amp not turn on at all? Well if anyone has had a similar experience to this could you please tell me what's wrong? Thank you very much.

Here's a review
    Connected rack tuner to amp
    Popping sound came out of cabinet
    I saw a little flash of light go out in the back of the amp in the return effects input
    The amp still turned on and played but it sounded very distorted.
    Please help, Thanks.
  2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You say "the back of the amp". Are you taking the "effects loop" out/send as a feed to your tuner? You shouldn't have to turn the amp off for this (plugging/unplugging) anyway.

I've owned both 7000 and 3500 heads for over 10 years and never had to do this.
  3. Yes I was talking about that. As soon as I inserted the cable onto the back panel of the amp it made this popping sound and I saw a light which seemed like a spark or something. So yes by "the back of the amp" I am reffering to the "effects loop"
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The only thing I can think of is you may have had a defective speaker cable that shorted when you were messing around back there. Nothing you did with the tuner/effects loop/instrument cable should be able to cause what you're describing.

And yes, if a fuse blew you would get nothing.
  5. Well today I opened up the top lid of the amp. I noticed that the Sovtek tube that is inside the amp was black from the top. Does this mean that tube burned out? If so, do I just have to buy a replacement tube and take it somewhere to install it or will I have to do something else? Oh yeah I did buy a pair of fuses to replace the current ones just to make sure that it wasn't the fuses. Oh yeah one more question, which would be a good tube to replace the old one? Any recommendations on a tube that will sound cool for metal? Well thanks.
  6. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    To check if it's the valve, lower the tube pre gain to zero and leave the solid pre at 5 and check if it still distorts. If so, maybe the burned valve theory is right. It's not logical that a bad cabinet cable can damage the valve which is in the preamp section. Check out near the valve but towards the back of the amp (in front of the air outtake -the intake is where the fan is, so the grill that hasn't got a fan-). There's all this alloy for disipating the heat and stuck to them are the power transistors (as far as I remember, two of them). Maybe one of them is gone (I mean dead). The other thing is Hartkes have two protections. One is for preventing overheat (my amp experienced extreme hot once -a 1000W light 4 feet away and pointing directly at the fan for an hour- and it simply has a relay that cuts output to the cabs -the DI still works!!!- for 5 seconds and then it all returns back to normal). The other protection is for short circuit (the Samson CS people told me this) but I don't know hoy it works. But I know of two ways to do this other than the fuse. The first one is that part of the power circuit simply "turns off" (the amp doesn't sound at all) so it has some button somewhere to reset it. The other I know consists of a part of the circuit that burns (acting like a fuse, but not a fuse at all). Obviously this part of the circuit (most likely a separate little board) is very cheap to replace (in fact, way more cheap than replacing the entire power stage of the amp). But I don't know what happens if this circuit is burned. I don't know if it still sounds (although crappy). This is as far as my knowledge goes (not bad for a part time bassist/IT employee). By the way, I know the amp's inside look because after my heat incident I decided not to take chances and replaced the fan with a more powerful one (even though in normal conditions it would never happen again, but...). Hope that helps. Take care...