1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Hartke head started smoking...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steambolt, Apr 10, 2010.

1. steambolt

steambolt

Apr 10, 2010
    I run a Hartke HA 3500 head into a 4OHM Eden 4X10 cabinet. Ive been playing on it for a few weeks and recently it started smoking while playing (it seemed like the hartke was getting overheated). I immediatly turned it off. I use a Ibanez Prestige SDGR series and I think the pickups are active so I was running through the active input. I turned it back on running my bass through the passive input and it seemed to be running better and it much louder than when I I was running through the active input. Would it have anything to do with the fuse sled?

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    This is an easy one. Smoke means you have had AN EVENT. Get it into the shop at once. Simply as a matter of interest you can check the fuse for proper value, but don't plug the amp in again.

3. If the amp starts smoking it's too hot or has a problem. Obvious things to check are your speaker cables and cabinet. The amp will be louder with the passive input as the active one cuts the signal down. Fuse sled???????

Were you using effects??

Paul

4. All I know for sure is that most active jacks are just the same as the passive, but they toss a resistor into the circuit to attenuate the higher signal to the pre-amp.

You are still using all the same components I believe unless Hartke has a separate pre-amp for that active v passive input - doubtful in these days and with the corporate bean counters demanding to make things cheaper.

Smoke is never a good sign, however and I bet it returns unless you were cooking a burrito on the power supply and you've now removed and eaten it. Don't do that again even if it smells good.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i think that you should get your Hartke to a tech asap.

and if it still does it after that, get it some nicorette gum..........;)

6. If your amp is smoking, IT IS A FIRE HAZARD. Unplug it and take it to a qualified professional to be checked out.

7. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Does the fan work (at all)?
    It should be operational at ALL times...
    I've had no troubles with either input (passives into the active & vice versa).

8. I was going to say to check for a fake ID, shouldn't be old enough to buy smoking materials? :ninja:

9. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I would also take your speaker cable with you when you get your head checked out and let them check that while your at it. If it has a short it will just fry your amp again after you get it fixed.

10. Letting the magic smoke out is not cool... You need to get a tech to check it over and re-fill it with smoke if necessary.

The active input is a pad. I always run active basses through the passive input unless I get unwanted clipping from hotter pickups.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Peer pressure? :D

12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I heard Hartke is coming out with a new Amp/Smoke Generator for on stage effects... could you have one of those?:D

13. timmerz

timmerz

Jan 2, 2005
    Manteca, Ca.
    I use an HA3500 as my back-up head, and right beside the output plugs it has 8ohm stamped, one 8ohm stamp for each plug. I have always assumed that this meant that the unit would not like a 4-ohm cabinet, and the one time I ran a 2x10 4ohm cab and turned it up at practice it timed-out due to heat...I have no idea why yours wouldn't shut down before it would start smoking...

14. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    shoulda just let it burn....

15. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Hey Steambolt,

Just give me a call and I'll help you out. 201-680-8153 Cell

16. Very cool.

Steambolt, be sure to report back here with updates. :cool:

17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Awe, I wanted to post that; quit smoking 16 years ago and still chew the gum; what a great addiction

What's with this Larry Hartke guy; doesn't he know that big time music biz stars don't have time to read stupid, boring internet boards about something as lame as playing bass?

(Note to self: Remember Hartke along with the other stand up manufacturers that read this board and get involved with sorting out problems)

18. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    +1, impressed. Well done, Sir.

19. Pretty cool Larry as a Hartke user I appreciate it. I do have one complaint I had to make my own 210 setup. It really kills w the 115 and I also have an LH1000 love em all.

[​IMG]

20. Love your speakers Larry. Keep up the good work.