Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Hartke scares me!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whiteXcorpse, Mar 2, 2005.

1. whiteXcorpse

whiteXcorpse

Oct 21, 2004
    Around christmas I purchased a NEW Hartke vx 410 cab, and now its giving me some problems. After just one move I went to turn it on and POP, crackle, crackle, buzzzzzzz.........
    So now therer is a buzz (as if a ground wire were lose or somthin) and loud crackling sounds every once in a while.
    I have a used Trace Elliot GP7SM pre amp, and it was connected at the time, but muted. everything seemed to be okay but as soon as the power hit....boom. :crying:
    I don't have much else to play on and I never even got a chance to play it much, so this really bothers me.
    So does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? what caused it? how much it would cost to fix it? ect. ect.
    Please Help, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If it was purchased at Christmas, odds are its still under warranty (you need to check, I'm not sure what Hartke's actual warranty period is). If it is in fact under warranty, don't delay in getting that sucker turned in.

That being said, I'd first be suspect of the amp or preamp. You should really try to borrow another amp or take the cab to a store to plug into a different amp to be sure.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Might be the infamous "Hartke unglued cone" problem that was discussed here a bit ago.

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Are you sure its the cab and not the amp?

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    +1 try another amp if you can friend..

6. whiteXcorpse

whiteXcorpse

Oct 21, 2004
    Yeah I was gonna borrow a buddies GK amp and check.

But even if it is the cab, I can't find the papers. I started moving in january. So I'm not sure were the papers are. :oops:

My amp is a trace elliot GP7SM "pre amp". But the guy the guy at the store told me "it work just fine", after I told him what kinda cabinet I was getting. Did I screw it up?

7. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, you bought Hartke. :smug:

8. Hey.....I'm probably not as smart as "Special Ed" about Hartke stuff( ya right) but I like to watch him on the "Comedy channel"......Today I plugged in to play and the pots on my bass made alot of the same noises...not the buzz...but some crackling that was loud for the first time ... could be youre bass... Just trying to help....Oh "Ed"......you need help...I've seen you on "Crank Yankers".......YEA!....YEA!....YEA...YEA...
    You make me laugh....stop it!!!!!

9. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    BASS MAKES ME POOP ! YAAAY ! :hyper:

10. whiteXcorpse

whiteXcorpse

Oct 21, 2004
    My bass sounds fine on my little 50 watt combo. So I don't beLIEve my its my bass, (Ironic ain't it). My Rock Bass in really good shape.

Hartke wasn't my first chioce but thats what I could get with the money I had. I was actually planning on getting a GK setup.Also a BNX3. But I got a job now, so....I'll be getting them soon.

I'm still "purplexed" by the fact that my amp is a "pre amp". It says so on the front. And I'm pretty ignorant to anything besides "amp", "cord", "bass".

Plus my grandfathers house, the house im living in now, his outlets may not be grounded and maybe that has something to do with it.

11. Glad I'm not the only one who watches you.......good job...*Laughter*.....oooooh man.....