1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My HD DVD home video future?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumzini, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Please try to keep up with my fragmented thoughts. So we had a Kodak digital camera that would take HD video, (way cool). So we also got this here new laptop with a nice program that I bought that would edit and burn family home videos in HD as well. I was then going to buy the HD DVD player for the XBox 360. To watch the on our upcoming HDTV.

So...

That camera was stolen and we're gonna replace it tomorrow. I'm looking at a couple of Kodak's that also record HD video. I was gonna transfer, edit, and burn to HD DVD. HOWEVER...since Toshiba has pulled out of the HD DVD war.... Should I hold off on the HD capability in the camera? Since BluRay is the sole option now...will I have oget softwre that burns in BluRay?

Sorry fo it to get rambling...it took me 2 hours to tpe this post between my wife wanting me to look up things and haing late night dinner.

2. I haven't heard much about the ability for consumers to burn their own Blu-Ray discs. I suspect you'd need a special burner drive for your laptop, special software, AND blank Blu-Ray media, none of which I'm seeing in the stores yet.

If your camera can take HD videos, I suspect that your only realistic way to view them would be to connect your camera directly to your HDTV monitor. That's the case for the short-term, anyway.

3. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Actually, I've seen blank BluRay discs at Best Buy. Only $20 a disc too!

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    There is a cameradock, (sold separatly of course), to view the videos in HD. However I would be filling up SD cards like crazy. I wanted to burn them to dvd with the cool software I have, (Magix Movie Edit 12). I never thought of the media end of it. Is there a seperate blank HD DVD I would have to buy...or would my bulk of blank DVD's do the job? But that brings up the question though. Would I want to bother going the HD DVD route because it's a dead technlogy now? The only reason I would be buying the HD expansion player for the XBox would be for home movies it would seem.

5. I Googled your Magix Movie Edit software. It doesn't allow you to burn to either HD-DVD or to Blu-Ray. It burns to something called WMV-HD, a Windows Media format that allows you to create HD video using standard DVD burners and standard DVD media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMVHD

So it sounds like you don't have to worry about buying HD-DVD blank media (which will probably be disappearing soon anyway). It also sounds like the Xbox 360 can play WMV-HD, although I don't know whether you need the add-on drive to make that happen.

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    So that dosn't sound like true HD to me though. SO I would be able to burn it that way, throw it into my XBox, (which isn't a true HD player).

I did some further digging as well. Come to find out if I was to attempt to edit true HD from a true HD camera one day my computer system will konk out du to the massive file size.

Maybe I should just get me the nicest digital camera that just takes the best stills that we can afford.

7. I may be wrong on this as it is only me thinking out loud, so to speak.

The answer is probably in the format that your DVD's are in. I'm guessing that it is not an actual HD or Blu-ray DVD format and probably some kind of DVD-R or DVD-WR format. If that's the case you will just have to pick a player that supports DVDR's etc.