My head has a broken cooling fan. Should I be playing it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I finally got a cab for my Peavey T-max. So I hooked it up and was playing it then I noticed something, no cooling fan drone. I look at the back of the head and see that the cooling fan is nonfunctional. Ug, I played this head for 20 minutes at the pawn shop (no returns) and didn't notice this. Now its started cutting out on me intermittently (Sweet Lord!). So I put a fan right behind the head and put it on high, but still it cuts out. I think it's got a bad input jack cuz sometimes if I wiggle the connection it comes back on.

I see that the input jack can be taken out with a wrench. I'm an electronics student and am fairly sure I can fix this myself, but I'd like to know more from your guys experience. Is the input jack just connected by one or two wires and I can just clip them, and connect another input? What about the fan? Will soldering be necessary or could I get away with crimps? Do I have to order these parts from Peavey or are input jacks and cooling fans universal parts that I can just order at Radio Shack? I really appreciate the help guys.

I'm gonna go weep over my new amp. :bawl:
  2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Just a little more info in case anybody cares. The amp is officially dead now, no sound at all. I traded a $600 Genz I had just got for X-mas for it :bawl: . The head will also sometimes physically jump when I turn it on. Scared the crap out of me first time it did it. I now have no amp. :help:
  3. Mono jack inputs are just 2 wires and are very easy to replace. Peavey use industry standard fans in their modern amps as far as I'm aware, so you can replace that.

If the amp is still dead after that, you've got real problems. Experts correct me if I'm wrong, but the first component to die due to overheating is usually the transformer (in my experience), so in the end you might end up shelling out a lot of money.

The Peavey support forum are really helpful if you go over there and post, they have engineers who answer questions:
  4. Well, I think it would depend onthe amp what fries first. Transformers are pretty sturdy, I'd think it was the rectifier if it's in the power section. But I'd bet that it's the output transistors. They heat up from the current running through them, and the heat sink/fan keep it from burning up.

If it's just a jack, it should be easy enough to fix. If it's a board mount jack you might have a tougher time findin g a replacement at the Shack. Peavey should be able to help. I got parts for a microbass from them and their tech guys gave me lots of help.

The thing about the jumpy amp scares me though. You should take it in before you kill yourself. Amps are not supposed to jump, I can only assume there are some nasty voltages zinging around inside that make it do that.