Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My head hurts, so does mine, huh??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ridethebike, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Wow i neva seen a bass/guitar before just guitar,guitar im not buying this or anything but what do you all think of this beauty and the beast.......beauty being bass of course

2. cool, i wonder if id would be any good?? and i suppose that the guitar is the beast! :D

3. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    hmmmm
    i dont really understand the use of that.
    who would be playing it? the bassist or the guitarist? just dont make sense to me... canna really describe it in words very well other then..... WHY? its like a drumset with a keyboard attached? ...well to me at least

4. I've seen those before, but not a Steinie.

Bass/ Guitar double necks aren't very common, but they are out there. I've seen a Ric like that.

Now I don't see much usefullness in something like that. If I was gonna have a double neck, it would be a fretted/ fretless or something.

5. Lol i agree on the WHY? part unless say you had two sets of arms, ideally its for cats and dogs...........rite

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    FWIW, I've seen pics of Geddy Lee with a Ric like that. The caption said Geddy liked the sound of the bigger body. Don't know if he actually played the guitar neck though.

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    what amp would you play it through? bass or guitar?

8. Probably both, it looks like it has dual outputs.

9. Rather expensive guitar then...............its only $499.99 which to me was good price altho id neva buy it

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    im thinking of getting it myself. I can play lead guitar and bass for our band as we dont really want a whole new member.

if we got the rythm guitarist one we could duel!

funfunfun!

:oops:

11. Lol i wouldn't advise doing that at a show u'll prob break out in a fist fight, if u do get one tell me wot its like cause im mildly curious

12. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Mike Rutherford of Genesis used a bass/guitar doubleneck in the 70's. Of course, he also used bass pedals, and their music of that time period had a lot of bassless :eek: passages, during which he would play guitar. If I remember correctly, his doubleaxe was a Rick.

13. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    concidering the genre of music we play a fist fight might be appropriate!

;)

regs.

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    here is the ric you all have been talking about

steve

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    JT has or Had I believe a double neck ric.. 4-string bass on top 6-string guitar on the bottom....

I don't see much point to them.... but some people do.. more power to them

16. If you look at the copyright on that pic, you'll see the familiar name of Lord Only. That is JT's double neck Ric. :D

17. Shergold Guitars in the UK made some custom (and interresting) doublenecks back in the '70s. Here's one that I find strangely appealing:

http://www.shergold.co.uk/gallery.phtml?item_id=19

As JazzV has already mentioned, Mike Rutherford of Genesis also used a (Shergold) doubleneck. Read more about it here:

http://www.shergold.co.uk/mikes.phtml

I think Shergolds, and these ones in particaular, are extremely cool! Wonder why they didn't sell very well - the strange headstock? ;)

18. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    That pic definitely refreshes my memory. Note it's not a Rick but a Shergold. Also note it's a 12-string guitar on top. Genesis in the 70's always had a place for the 12-string in their music.

19. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    By the way, check out the triple necker that Chris Squire uses on "Awaken" on the "Keys to Ascension" video. It's a Carvin. All three necks appear to be for bass. Unfortunately, the video doesn't give a close enough shot to really see what's going on with each neck, but it appears to be 1 fretless, 1 fiver, and one I can't identify. Only a guy his size could play the thing, because it looks like it weighs a ton. Unfortunately for his back, "Awaken" is about 18 minutes long. Say "hi" to the chiropractor...

20. Lol jazz, what do you mean by a fiver neck