Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My head is Rattling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dedmyers, Jul 23, 2004.

1. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    Does anyone else experience some rattling type sounds from their head at certain frequencies. I hate to have my head not setting on my cabs but if this keeps up...

Ive opened up my amp (Walkabout) but nothing is a clear source. Any suggestions?

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You could try to isolate it from the cab with some foam.

You could put an old mattress in between but that may not look cool on stage.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I keep a slice of medium-density foam between my amp and cab precisely for this reason.

Also, if you ever get a rack, make sure the latches are on the LIDS, not on the rack itself, to avoid rattling from your rig when playing.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    This is so true that it isn't funny. You need to be very careful with molded plastic cases. Rattling seems to be their middle name.

As for the original poster, nothing in that head should rattle. Have you called the manufacturer and asked them about the situation?

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    As another thought, rattles can come from the outside casing as well. I had a Carvin DCM2000 power amp for awhile in my bass rack (too heavy!), and it developed a nasty rattle. Turned out it was the metal faceplate piece on the front. When I folded up a piece of construction paper and slipped barely slipped it into the seam, the rattling stopped.

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
  7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    My first bass amp I had back in the 70's was an old Sears Silvertone amp. I think it was like a 50watt head into a 6x10 cab. What it lacked in power and tone, it made up for in rattle. I had cardboard, tape and caulk all over that thing and never stopped the rattle. Every note I ever played through that rig rattled something.
    Wish I still had that thing. :D

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yup, saw some really great dark grey high density foam at this box place next to a GC (a lot of GC's seem to have box places near them, weird). Would look hardly noticeable placed under a rack case. Cheap too.

But those auralex things sure look tasty... :D

-T

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Stop drinking cheap tequila

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    with that said...never buy a musiciansfriend brand rack case. we were recording and i had to use my 10 foot speaker cord and separate my head from my cab by 10 feet and a door just so the stupid rack case wouldnt rattle. i knew it would be a problem (the latches on the case, not the lid) the first day i had it. i just put a little duct tape over them if they get too annoying and then im alright.

back on subject...make sure your pots are tight and the input/output jacks are tight. other than that i dont know what to tell you.

11. I just couldn't think of one! Man I'm so dissapointeeed in myself :help:

12. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the suggestions, I cut a piece of foam and used it during a gig this Sunday. It worked but...I still would like to find the source. I checked all the pots and everything that would be obvious. I will call mesa today and ask them too. (Auralex looks pretty sweet too).

13. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    oh yea...I was never a cheap tequila man, it was always cheap rotgut (northern light in the 1/2 gallon bottle). Oh, maybe thats the problem.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Pepe Lopez........it even changes your visual perception of color![​IMG]

And do not go to the zoo on it..........you'll arrange a date with members of the primate house!!!

15. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Has anyone ever tried putting one of the Auralex Gramma pads between the amp and speaker cabinet? It seems like this might isolate the head from a lot of the vibration?

16. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My rack case sits on the floor beside my cabs. Doesn't look as rockstarish but it never gets vibration damage there.

17. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    At least you have the option of sitting your amp on top of your cab... I bought a Fender 300 Pro Head and found that it won't sit on top of my Ampeg 8x10 cab... odd how that works out. It is 16 inches deep, as is the cab, but the cab has a slant on the top, so the amp sits at an angle.. so I guess it goes on the floor. Nothing wrong with that... just can't step on it. haha.

---J

18. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    stingray kid: you could always put the head on its side behind the cabinet where you wont step on it. no one has to see your head...do they?

19. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    How can he get to it to crank it up? :bassist:

20. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    And putting an all tube head on its side has never seemed like a great idea to me.