1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My head took a dump!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phalex, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Get the B1500

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Do the Power amp / Preamp combo

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Carrots: Fix the old head and use it for 16 more years

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've been having amp problems for the last few weeks. I was sure I'd blown a speaker in my 410 cab, but events this past weekend would seem to prove this hypothesis wrong.

The club we played this past weekend has a 1x15 onstage that is available for use. It's part of the setup from the Thursday night jam nights they have there. So, I brought me head, and used this speaker to kind of test my theory that my cab was the problem.

The first set was nothing but distortion! Blaaaat blaaat blaaat all 1st set! Luckily the club is about 7 minutes from my house, so I ran home and got my ancient back up head and the 410 I assumed was puking out on me.

I'm going to take my head in to get repaired, but my wife has given me clearance to buy a brand new one!! :hyper: So, I intend to get the old one fixed, sell it to help offset some of the expense and do one of two things:

1st: I love Carvin amps, and the B1500 looks to be right up my alley. Plenty of power, and just the right amount of controls on the face plate. I don't need an EQ, knobs are fine by me, and it would appear to have headroom for days.......

2nd option: I can buy a power amp (DCM 1000) and a preamp like a sans amp, or a Rocktron Blue Thunder, and have a pretty sweet rig there too.

I'm leaning towards the B1500, but still........

Help me out TB! What would you do and why??

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I would go with the 1500. From what I hear, it is a killer all around head. If I needed something bigger than my Shuttle 6, I would pick up one of these.

3. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Carvin B1500 and I LOVE it! I use it to drive an Eden 410XLT and for the price you'll be hard pressed to find a cleaner, more powerful head. If size is not a matter (and I'm 50), go for it.

4. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Actually, I'm attracted by the size. They have an Uber light 500W amp, but for some reason I seem to equate power with mass. I figure a rack bag with a shoulder strap, and it'll still be a cinch to carry.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What your current head? What the power rating of your cab?

If the head is totally good after repair and hasn't crapped out on you before, I suggest keeping it, making it your backup, selling your "ancient backup head".

Carvin has the B1500 on sale for $650 right now. You may need to budget for a new cab with all that power available in the B1500. Or maybe adding a compressor would also help protect your speakers.

You might want to check out the following link to check out a few more heads just so you know what's out there http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442966:D

6. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The head that crapped out on me is a Carvin PB-500. 250W a side. It's been quite a trooper over the years. The cab is a Carvin 410T. It's 8ohm rated at 400W. I think the B1500 will put out 750W into 8ohm. My intention isn't really to get stupidly loud, I just want tons of headroom. I like it clean.

I don't know that I'll get rid of the ancient backup. It's a KMD G130SB. It's the first amp head I ever bought new (back about 1983). It has sentimental value. I may keep the PB-500. Heck I may keep the PB-500 and not get a new amp at all! I've just been wrestling with this problem for the last month or so, and it's got me GASsing for something new.

Nice job compiling info! That's a helpful resource!

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, so folks over and over are saying the Carvin 1500 is the shiz - -

It's 100% solid state, right? Yet, it doesn't sound cold/sterile? I've been playing hybrid amps since... 1989 - I don't know if I could go back to a SS preamp...

8. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Another vote for the B1500, although from the other thread the B500 might do just as well, for a few less dollars, and less weight.

It's nice to have the green light and lots of choices! Happy Shopping!

9. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Get the B1500, and retire the older Carvin as a backup.

It's what I'd do if I had the dough.

10. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Your logic is pretty solid!

The poll is still neck and neck. I take the busted amp in on Wednesday. We'll see what they give me for a quote. I'm hoping I have a schematic in the manual, they don't have them on the Carvin website.

We'll see what repairs are going to run. If it's more than a couple hundred I'll either get it fixed and play it, or scrap it altogether.

I really like what I'm hearing about the B1500, but I think I'm still not talked out of the Pre/power amp combo either.

BigOldHairy: I had a tube amp waaaay back when. I'm not a fan of maintenance, or glass stuff that can rattle loose. What kind of maintenance does the tube pre require? I've had more than one guitar player have tube amp issues onstage, and frankly, I'm not so sure I trust them. That's why I want the massive headroom, for good clean sound. I don't care so much about "Warm Tube Growl."

Why do you like a tube pre so much?

11. as a b1500 owner/user, i voted that you join the club.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Can't go wrong with a B1500

13. I have a DCM1000 that I use with a Yamaha PB1 preamp. I also have a Carvin BRX112NEO combo that uses the B800 amp, which is the little brother to the B1500. Both systems sound great and you would probably be happy with either setup. The things I would consider are practical issues like weight, dimensions, price.