Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My head's gonna explode(A Bass dilemma)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bleachstained, Apr 15, 2002.

1. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    Here's my situation. I have a fender P-Bass Special currently. I am very happy w/it, but I am still looking for the "perfect" sound. I am running a Ampeg B2R with a Crate 15. I plan on adding a 2x10 later also. I am looking at 2 possibilities in the future. I either want to get a 5 string or a nice 4 string. The tone I'm looking for is a very deep and smooth sound(Dirk Lance,P-Nut,DeLeo of STP), yet a tone that sounds good slapped(Flea, P-Nut). All around a tone close to that of the bassist from P-Funk, just a little deeper. My question is whether I should go with the 5 for the low end or with a 4. I am very comfortable playing 4's but haven't found the tone I am describing. I love the feel of Musicman's, yet the tone of p-bass(except for slapping).

So, in conclusion...5 or 4? Which 5? Which 4? How can I modify a Musicman to get my tone? How can I get the Musicman feel with the tone I'm looking for? How can I groove and rock like Robert DeLeo and slap away like Flea on the same bass?

Thanks to all, and have fun layin down the groove.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well. A musicman is a musicman is a musicman, not much moding you can do it. thats why you buy a musicman, for its distinct tone. If you want a 5-string, go with a 5 string, if you want a 4-string, stay with it. Tone is very subjective.

On that note, take a look at the fender p-bass deluxe model. pretty good bass. your P-bass sound with some added growl

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    You might wanna try out a Fender P-Bass Deluxe (American), an MTD Heir, or a Lakland Skyline (the ones with MM+J)... You might also try playing through an amp other than a Crate, as they aren't the highest quality if you will... If you have major cash, you can't go wrong with a Modulus, Spector, Sadowsky, US Lakland,... so many others

Dave

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    sounds like u want either a spector, a stingray, a thumb, or a lakland. I think my stingray is what your describing, but most will say it has a signature sound. A lakland would be my second choice just cuz its alot more expensive than the stingray. They get that stingray sound though so its sumthing to think about. I also have a spector and love it. My electronics dont offer much growl though, a little too clean. I would most def get a 4 string though. From my experience 5s are real good for slapping, and its hard to get a nice B string. Go with the 4 and try out a bunch of basses to see what u want.