Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Heart Belongs to Daddy

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Aug 15, 2004.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've been working with the recorder to sharpen my bow skills and this is one of the results:

http://paperthecity.com/RayParker/SoundClips/MyHeartBelongsToDaddy.wma

Sirleto bass
    Thomastik Solo string at Orchestra Tuning
    Audio Technica AT 822
    Recorded on my PC with an OLD version of CoolEdit Pro
    Accompiment Band in a Box (BIAB)

With BIAB you are able to dump the track into a wav file. I opened this in CoolEdit and recorded the bass on a third track. The mic was directly centered in in front of the bass and 3-4 inches below the bridge, and 3 feet away (laying on a short stool as my mic stand disappeared along with a room mate at some point). No phones, just put the BIAB track out pretty softly through the PC speakers and turned my back to help eliminate bleed. Put just a small touch of reverb on the bass and mixed it down.

2. Ray, I get one of those "this page cannot be found" when I click on that link....

3. See my comments and questions in the jazz arco technique thread.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The link was bad, but now it should be fine.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My computer won't play those files. It even tried to download the required stuff, but no go. :(

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    What OS, etc? I think I used to know what you have, but ferget...

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I tried downstairs on my wife's machine - either windows '95 or '98. Upstairs, I'm running Mac OS 10.3. Haven't tried it up upstairs yet.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sounds good, Ray, I love that tune. I think I'm going to start calling this tune on Gypsy Pacific gigs. Maybe I'll get brave (read: drunk) and try some arco on it myself.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Thanks! And beer can help. Maybe I'll do a recording study with a stop watch and a few frosty ones.

11. Yeah Man! Those little down slurs are nice!

While tearing off a game of golf, I might make a play for the caddie.
    But if I do, I won't follow through cause my heart belongs to daddy.
    If I invite a guy some night to dine on my fine Finnan haddie, I just adore him asking for more but my heart belongs to daddy
    Oh my heart belongs to daddy so I simply couldn't be bad yes my heart belongs to daddy DADADADADADADADADA
    So I want to warn you laddie that I know you're perfectly swell
    But My heart belongs to daddy 'cause he treats me so well. ;)

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm still getting a "Page Not Found" error on the MP3 link.

13. Same here - tried both links - bummer!

- Wil

14. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Ray....great sounding bass. Sounds like your arco technique is ok to me. I'm really impressed that there isn't alot of ambient room noise in that recording. Is your room well soundproofed??

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The guitarist is kinda stiff, but I like it!

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Not at all. It was a pretty rainy night and it was a little on the late side, so nobody was out making noise. If I dropped the 'guitarist' out of it you would hear bleed from the PC speakers and rain in the background...

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  18. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    BIAB has gown a lot since those days, although the interface still has the graphics-mode DOS clunkiness to it. It does more than I could start to list here, but as an example he has a little AI built into the thing that will emulate solos in the style of different jazz greats. Printing and transposition are certainly there.

19. Ray,

Success! I finally got it to play on my system - man, what a nice sound! I like your tone, and your phrasing reminds me again why I love the double-bass. It sounds like you're having fun - and you've given me some ideas…

Nice job!

- Wil

20. I love it !