1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my hofner shorty is on the way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Apr 4, 2016.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so after hearing from some folks here, i pulled the trigger on a mikro shorty from AMS. fedex tracking says it's due Wed 4/06/2016 by end of day :)

unfortunately i wrenched my left index finger somehow, so i have a little pain and limited range of motion. hopefully that's resolve itself quickly! then i'll be able not only to write a little review of the shorty but to do a comparison of the shorty it to the mikro, as i recall several people here had been asking for one.

can't wait - hopefully it'll be just what i'm looking for.

stay tuned...

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Outta my way! I'm caffeinated! Supporting Member

Congratulations. And, you know the rules...

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    you bet - and i always post at least one pic :D

Gaolee likes this.
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Nice to hear. Enjoy it.

TD

5. Tim817

Tim817

Dec 14, 2015
    Unionvale New York
    It's about time!!!Lol enjoy it and play the hell out of it.

pcake likes this.
  6. Be careful. After playing one of those things for about 3 or 4 years , you might start to grow a beard like McCartney did.:jawdrop:

pcake likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    oh, noooo - what would my husband think of that??? :roflmao:

8. Don't know , but if you start seeing little tiny hairs , better ship the Hofner to me. :roflmao: I'm safe since I already have a beard. But till the sprouts show up , enjoy.:thumbsup:

pcake likes this.
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Oh I think he'd be tickled with it! .....sorry!

96tbird and pcake like this.
  10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so the shorty showed up, but it buzzes like no other bass i've ever played. i mean, it's bad. much worse than my mikros or anything else. there's lots of neck relief - too much, actually - so back it goes. AMS will be sending another, but one of their techs is going to check it for extreme buzz first. disappointed but i have my little short scale herd here, so i can play one of my mikros, my jag ss, my ubass or the frankenshred my husband made me till the next shorty arrives.

funny thing - the only other bass i've ever sent back to AMS was also a hofner, and it was also for extreme buzzing. it was a gorgeous glossy black contemporary series club bass.

11. Gaolee

Gaolee Outta my way! I'm caffeinated! Supporting Member

Well, that just sucks. Sorry to hear it. But, maybe they saved you from growing a beard.

sharkbait130 likes this.
  12. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    nah, i'm gonna risk the beard - they're sending me a replacement :D

Gaolee likes this.
  13. axesword

axesword

Feb 14, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Pcake- I hope it works out for you! I'm still on the fence for a short scale slab. Currently leaning towards an Epi EB-0 until your post got my interest back to the Shorty. Almost half the weight and body size...

pcake likes this.
  14. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    They should include one of these razors in the package with the bass. just in case.

gillette-fusion-proglide-manual-razor-with-flexball-up.

pcake likes this.
  15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    if i didn't have shoulder issues, i'd be getting the EB-0 - after trying one and playing it for a while, it's a fun little bass. or the traveler TB-4P, which is also very light and has a 32" scale. the shorty is, however, very light and the body is insanely small although not shallower than other slab basses. it's as light as a hofner violin bass, though, which means i can play it while standing without pain, not the case with most of my herd.

*LOLOLOL*

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's a shame. I have a Hofner Ignition Club that had bad buzzing when I got it several years ago. It turned out there was too much relief and the strings were contacting the upper frets. I adjusted the trussrod and it's been good since.

Can you post a picture of the frankenshred your husband made?

17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    update -

my husband couldn't resist. he put the shorty up on his workbench today, and the first thing he discovered is that the neck was so poorly seated in the pocket that you could see plenty of daylight between the neck and the body. he opened it up, and the neck was shimmed... wait for it... backwards! yes, the shims were tipping the neck further, and it doesn't seem like it needs to be shimmed in the first place. lots of bondo, glue and paint in the neck pocket, too - i mean, thick and lots. but turns out the pocket's just machined too deep in the body. back it goes.

so i got to thinking - is this a problem you run into on cheaper instruments? i checked my two mikros and the jag ss, and they all have nicely seated necks. the only other bass we know for sure had this problem was my warwick rockbass streamer - it had masses of very thick paint in the neck pocket holding the neck away from the body, pretty much like this one.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Any pics of the poorly seated neck? :)

19. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    he put it back together when he was done. the catch now is the neck is too deep in the body and the pocket is actually cut slightly crookedly.

20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    A full pocket flat shim will help the depth issue.