Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Home Deepo bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greenman, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Lots of threads on wood - How about this.
    I thought I would see how my luthier skills are before I cut in to a nice piece of figured maple or any other expensive wood.I went to the local lumber yard and purchased dressed 4 sides poplar lumber and laminated it together. I was originally going to try a gloss black finish but after moving the grain of the wood around I thought I'd go with clear nitro lacquer. I'm just transfering parts over from my existing Schecter so the build was pretty cheap ; except for the router, occilating spindle sander, table saw, drill press and scroll saw but I'll have these tools for a while.
    So what do you think of my first attempt?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :D

2. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Nice grain!

3. i like it!

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Not together yet. I stuck the pups in the hole for the pic. I'll let it dry for two weeks and then rub the orange peel out of the lacquer. When I get it together I'll post final pics.

5. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    what is your body thickness on that bass, looks good, im just starting to build my own and mine may end up being 1 1/2 instead of 1 3/4 due to the boards that my dad gave me.

6. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Home Depot had some 1/4" poplar lumber also. 3/4"+1/4"+3/4"=1 3/4"

7. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    thats where i'm going tomorrow then...the one im building will have 3/4 red elm back, 3/4 "walnut wings with blacklocust center stripe, and now poplar 1/4" core

8. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    That will contrast

9. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    maybe i should just put walnut on bottom, who knows.. black locust has a maple color with zebra stripes in it..

10. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That looks incredible, very cool grain accent on the poplar with the nitro. Since I actually work for Home Depot, I will ba taking a picture of this bass to work tomorrow, if you don't mind.

Poplar is one of the five types of wood we sell, and I never ever would have thought to use it for a bass until now. I may be looking to make one meself. You could almost go with a couple layers of veneer in the center to make up the 1/4" for a "racing stripe" look.

11. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Maybe you can get me on one of those cardbosrd cut-outs like Mike Holmes

12. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Nice poplar. Like 'bone I have used it before but I haven't seen grain like that....t

13. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, pretty unusual looking poplar. In a good way, looks like it would be a graphic or something.

14. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    grain looks a bit like Ash.t

15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    excellent job!

poplar is a popular wood for basses.

zon uses poplar for some legacies.

MTD korean are sometimes poplar.

f

16. wow thats your first attempt??? congrats, it looks very good

lowsound

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    That is a sweet looking grain there. Looks beautiful.

I eagerly await your follow ups! :cool:

18. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    the wood seems too good to be true sometimes -- it's cheap, lightweight, and sounds good! if only it weren't for the occasional unattractiveness. :smug:

19. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks for all the good posts. When I bought the Poplar I wasn't concerned about the grain because I was going to see how good of a job I good do with black pollyurathane. I've been back to the lumber rack several times and havn't found any thing to buy.
    You have a better chance of finding clear(er) poplar than figured.
    I have a hunting and fishing camp in northern Ontario Canada and there is poplar I can hardly put my arms around. We use it for heat and during the process of cutting fire wood I've noticed "spalted polar". The wheels are spinning.

20. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'd suggest getting the nut looked at. them strings are whacky! ;) just kidding!

that looks great. i love the lacquer on it, it looks like it just glows. great job.