Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My homebuilt Jazz, a heartwarming story... w/ pictures

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    To see the pics skip down a paragraph...

I had just begun working at GC when we had a massive sale. I was an accessories salesman (and a darn good one) and in our blowout bin was a long box that said Fender Replacement neck. I pulled it out and it was a Fender replacement 62 jazz neck. It looked so forlorn, and sad, and was so inexpensive at 89 bucks (less than half what the store paid fender for the neck) that I had to buy it. I took it home and put it on my MIM Pbass. It wasn't bad looking, but I wanted my pbass to stay the way it was. The poor lonley neck sat around forover a year as I collected the parts I would need to give it a new life in it's new home (my bass collection) I assembled all the parts and sent it with my brother to have his guitar tech do final setup on my beautiful, but not quite finished bass. Fineally, almost 2 years from buying the lonley neck, she was reborn like a butterfly as a beautiful jazz bass.

See her here.(click on the pics, they came out better than I expected)

http://photobucket.com/albums/y167/dane5140/bass pictures/

Parts are...
    Fender: Replacement 62 jazz neck, vintage tuners, Noiseless, pickups, control plate, pickup cover, pots and strings.
    WD: Ash body
    Leo Quan: Baddas II Bridge
    Rickenbacker knobs
    Unknown brand: wiring, input jack, and pickguard, strapknobs
    Formby's tung oil for the body (a ton of coats)

I have A/B'd it against tons of jazzes including the vintage basses at Chicago Music Exchange , and it holds its own against any jazz, and sounds alot better than many modern and vintage instruments that cost many times more. I really dig the warmth of the Vintage noiseless, and the sustain of the badassII bridge. The first time I played it in band practice, my guitarrist commented on how my tone had suddenly improved.

My only regrets are that I didn't wire it with a push/pull for series paralel, and the fact that the grain on the body is so much better on the back than the front. (WD said that I could have returned it if I had wanted too) All in all, I am very very, happy.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I just did the "skip down a paragraph" thing. NICE! G_G on the jazz.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice. The aged-looking neck does not yet harmonise well with the pale ash, you should tan it a bit more :cool: :D
    Nice story. Nicer bass.

BTW that p-up cover looks like it's black with a quitin-esque hint of green, or is it just because of the photo's lighting conditions?

4. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Very nice indeed! I love the look of the neck pup cover. Congrats!

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Very good job.

If you're okay for a little constructive criticism, it will probably look better if the body were stained a little darker.

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The PU cover is very shiny chrome, it just looks dark in the picture. The bridge itself is a dark chrome. Surprising, but it actually looks good

As for the body color, you can't stain over tung oil, so the wood difference is permenant. It bothered me at first, but it has grown on me. I am also considering not reoiing the body ever (oil wears off slowly, but it will wear off) and letting it slowly get darker and darker until it looks super worn (think Jaco bass but more antiqued.

Thanks for the feedback and crit. Did I mention she plays like a dream....