Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My honest opinion of the Madison 4x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Aug 24, 2002.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    This is my opinion of what I get from my Madisonspeakers 4x8.and Im waiting on my second one.

Madison Speakers are the new guys on the Bass Cabs block but not for long for if they keep coming up with cabs like the newest one they've made for me they will be around for many years to come. when I first played thru the Madison cabs, a co. I had never heard of before, I must say I honestly was very impressed, but they didn't offer a 4x8 cab so I asked them would they be interested in building me one, and with some thought and the guys asking for my input we were on our way the 4x8 cab from Madison Speakers is no BS it is one of the best sounding cabs I have ever heard. there is no pre dialed coloration so the sound you hear is the sound you get from your Bass. the sound is clear as a bell and overall very even and yes it can handle a Low B. the overall tone is very nice. it's almost like a studio monitor transparent and clear enough to allow a keen access to the availability to dial in the right amount of color. I would like to thank Andy, Slick and James for being so sincere and open to what I feel is a righteous contribution to the ever growing needs of the Bass Player.these Guys are truly on to something.

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    where can i get them and how much?
    i want some 8's!

steve

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
  4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

You've probably mentioned it elsewhere, but could you say
    what sort of rig you're using the 4x8 in? Is it stand alone, or
    part of a bi-amp setup? What kind of amp?

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    at the moment Im just using it as a stand alone unit.sometimes I just want to use a different sound live or in the studio.

6. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
  7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    :rolleyes:

8. I have a SWR 4x8, and I can honestly say it's the best sounding cab I've played in 20 odd years, and I've had Goliaths, Mesa Boogies, Hartke, Peavey, Big Foot, all sorts. Like your Madison, it handles the low B better than the SWR 1x15 I put under it for big gigs, most of the time it's stand alone. I wish I could find another one...sigh.....

9. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    holy ballsack batman! These cabs are almost as cheap as avatar cabs! That 2x12 +2x8 cab looks very interesting...especially at under 300 bones. I'm gonna do some more lookin on these guys.. 72 lbs is nice too

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am very intrested in the 8x10.
    how much would truck freight cost to daytona you think?
    this is to a business where this happens every once and awhile if that matters at all.

and the 2x12 2x8 looks real good too.
    but they didn't have the 4x8 cabs where i looked.
    can you buy them factory direct?

steve

11. :D

12. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    um...is there a reason somebody put down that quote about bass waves? unless yer makin fun of somebody, it seems a bit out of place

13. I'm assuming they say that somewhere on their website....
    I'm not going to comment....:D

14. Well I'll have to wait for a few more reviews myself. Those prices are way too low (if its too good to be true......) $159 for a 400 watt 2x10 is tempting though even if its garbage ... well, maybe not that tempting.

There's even an authorized dealer here in town, but they state all products are shipped directly from Madison, so I can't even go demo one. Bummer.

Hopefully others will post reviews, or maybe Madison can send me a 2x10 to demo

:) :)

ps - their website is pretty cheesy :p

Greg

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sorry, that quote comes from their description of one of their subwoofers. I was rolling my eyes because whoever wrote it doesn't know what they're talking about.

16. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    oh ok. gotcha. i just didn't know where it was comin from. makes sense now

17. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I use dto have an Ampeg combo with 4x8" drivers and a small tweeter.The tone was nice,very smooth,but the 8s didn't throw enough on stage.I'm sure it would have made a nice sounding recording amp,but I need 10s whenever a drummer's around.