My hunt for a C# Standard Tuning Bass - American Standard P or SchectorStilettoElite?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am looking for a bass to have a C# standard setup/ downtuned a step and half on each string. I was thinking of getting a Fender American P Bass setup with C# standard intonation with DR DDT Heavy strings. I am having a hard time finding the Black, Rosewood fretboard model in NYC and looks like Fender is on backorder. I may order one online, though I am not a big fan of that.

I did play a Schector Stiletto Studio Elite 4 the other day and damm, what a fast, clean, awesome sounding bass when tuned in E standard. My question here is - does anyone think the Schector would be as smooth/easy to play in a C# standard tuning or would Schector be ideal for detuning?

I dont know, I think the Fender would be great with the setup I want but now I am having second thoughts, haha.

Any advice would be appreciated

2. Shouldnt make a difference

3. One bump

4. I played a Schecter stiletto custom 4 (bolt on neck) in C# for over two years with zero issues. I actually still drop it that low on occasion.

5. FWIW I tune my Jazz Bass to C# Standard. Right now I'm using medium gauge strings, just because they were free. But I usually use heavy. As long as you don't keep going up to E, and then back down again, they should hold a tune. Just keep them downtuned, and adjust the intonation.

6. Ed Zachary.

7. Thanks for the comments

I may try to play the Schector at GC tuned the way I need it, perhaps along with the Fender and see which one to go with.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    IMO...this won't be a good indicator. Either bass will do just fine with it. You should play them both in standard tuning (which they will be set up properly for, hopefully) and see which bass has a tone that you prefer. Then, buy it and get it setup with proper strings, intonation, etc. for the tuning you want.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021